Horn for Radian 950pb - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 04:52 PM   #31
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virious View Post
I will try sweeping them at some time. So you suggest to get rid of the 950s and buying SEOS 1" horns and a driver like the TAD TD-2001? Or?

Thanks,
Jeppe
Ditch a driver you really like for the horn you *think* you want..

-sounds like "putting the cart before the horse" to me.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:12 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virious View Post
So you suggest to get rid of the 950s and buying SEOS 1" horns and a driver like the TAD TD-2001? Or?Jeppe
A Man of Character marries one woman for life, but fools around with several different speakers :-)

Your current speakers with the TAD TM-1201H midbass push enough energy into the room to give the illusion that a 200lb physical body is singing in the room. A 2000lb physical piano is playing. A SEOS_15 and medium cost 1" compression driver like the Radian 475PB would be a good option to complete your speaker.

A 2" compression driver midrange horn has a different pressure function than a TAD TM-1201H.

You could keep the Radian 950-PB mistress for a future big JMLC midrange horn speaker that has electrostatic midrange details with confused tweeter upper harmonics. (read Lynn Olson's thread "I do not give great weight to directivity control. I know that Dr. Floyd Toole and Dr. Geddes place directivity control high on their list of priorities, but I must respectfully disagree with them, while agreeing on many other points. I very strongly agree about the importance of uniform and flat response at the listening position...")
Old 28th September 2012, 10:12 PM   #33
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
A 2" compression driver midrange horn has a different pressure function than a TAD TM-1201H.
What do you mean?
In my tests I found 4" drivers better than 1.75" drivers in almost any respect, even when used only above 1khz.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:36 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
In my tests I found 4" drivers better than 1.75" drivers in almost any respect, even when used only above 1khz.
I think it is typical to cross the Radian 950PB 4" diaphragm compression driver around 7Khz to a super-tweeter in order to avoid the breakup ~10Khz, and beaming if the higher frequency is boosted.

Radian 950PB Spectral Decay Plot attached. Long decay ~10Khz indicates breakup energy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radian950_breakup_freq_limit.jpg (70.6 KB, 466 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 05:43 AM   #35
j45yip is offline j45yip  Singapore
diyAudio Member

...i have been listening to the 950pb with the AH204 azurahorns for more than 2 years now. partnering them, are 4 onken style cabs with usher 15" 15HM drivers crossed at 400hz. liked the sound so far with no apparent beaming as compared to my previous lowther pm4 in a similar setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system-1.jpg (60.0 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 950pb.jpg (69.0 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg 950pb_ah204.jpg (53.3 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-11-26111632.jpg (56.0 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19145821.jpg (61.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-19145943.jpg (71.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg azura204_radian950.jpg (28.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Pano; 29th September 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: fixed photos
Old 29th September 2012, 09:36 AM   #36
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
I think it is typical to cross the Radian 950PB 4" diaphragm compression driver around 7Khz to a super-tweeter in order to avoid the breakup ~10Khz, and beaming if the higher frequency is boosted.

Radian 950PB Spectral Decay Plot attached. Long decay ~10Khz indicates breakup energy
If you turn them into 1.4" drivers (throat less) and install truextent diaphragms both of these drawbacks disappear
Those truextent diaphragms still require EQ in the top end (at least to counter the rise in impedance of the motor, but also because the massbreak point is still in the middle of the band), but they take it without problem, and without much breakup until at least 16khz.

I am using JBL 2450SL (1.5") and truxtent diaphragms now, and nothing I have heard come close (even the JBL 2435H is really far from that).
The Radian motor is supposed to be even better with its 5-slit phasing plug (better directivity control in the UHF).

1" compression driver sound thin in comparison, even when used only above 1khz.

Last edited by pos; 29th September 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:08 PM   #37
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
If you turn them into 1.4" drivers (throat less) and install truextent diaphragms both of these drawbacks disappear
Those truextent diaphragms still require EQ in the top end (at least to counter the rise in impedance of the motor, but also because the massbreak point is still in the middle of the band), but they take it without problem, and without much breakup until at least 16khz.

I am using JBL 2450SL (1.5") and truxtent diaphragms now, and nothing I have heard come close (even the JBL 2435H is really far from that).
The Radian motor is supposed to be even better with its 5-slit phasing plug (better directivity control in the UHF).

1" compression driver sound thin in comparison, even when used only above 1khz.

Note: Most of the poor linear decay at the top of the Radian's pass-band is likely a product of its linear behavior (or lack thereof). EQ it and most of that "hash" should disappear provided there is a smooth transition from driver exit to "horn entrance". (..of course the equalization would be complex - requiring digital filtering.)

A 1.4" exit adapter will almost certainly compromise the phase path of compression driver. It also alters the compression ratio (..and in a negative manner).

The 950PB should be good enough for most people, with only the top octave not fully developed. Perceptually this can be compensated for with a rear radiating super tweeter.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:30 PM   #38
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

j45yip, I've fixed your photos (90% reduction in file size)
Please read this thread:
Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ??
Thanks!
Old 30th September 2012, 01:19 AM   #39
j45yip is offline j45yip  Singapore
diyAudio Member

...hi pano, noted. sorry and thanks for the follow up action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
j45yip, I've fixed your photos (90% reduction in file size)
Please read this thread:
Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ??
Thanks!
Old 30th September 2012, 03:00 AM   #40
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing. That's a monster.

But it seems no one has used or shared the results yet. I'm wondering how the big titanium dome would work in the top range.

Hide this!Advertise here!