my peerless pipes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally my speakers are finished. This is my first pair off speakers I build. As a student I needed something I could build on a small budget and these where relative sheap to build. These peerless units are a good deal price/ performance. I'm using the shielded version off the wa10.

First impressions: Real powerfull bass , more than enough for a small (12 m²) student room. The highs are less pronounced for the moment. But I need to find some decent measurement equipment so i can change the crossover a bit. I couldn't find any decent priced non inductive resistors here so I just used the white wirewound types maybe this is a part off the problem. I was thinking using a few 2 watt metalfilms in parallel. Anyone done this?

I'm drving them with my aleph 5. Next on the todo list X-bosoz.

I'd like to thank Bob for sharing his design.

Andries

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I finished my Peerless Pipe two weeks ago, although mine does not look nearly as cute. I emailed Bob Brines, he recommended to change L1 to .15 mH to smooth out a "peak" at 4.5k or something like that. The new cross over make the high more lively. However, if played loud, the high can be a little aggressive to my uneducated ears. The Peerless pipe is a very good speaker considering the cost of the drivers. The bass is incredible for a smaller woofer. Wonder what it can sound like with a more fancy tweeter.
I also like to take this opportunity to thank Bob for making this project available.

The tweeter is the weakest part of this design, and if I had it to do over again, I'd use the Seas 27TFFC. It's a little more expensive, but not overly so. I heard Brian Bell's Peerless Pipes at DIY 2003 Atlanta this weekend. The Seas tweets are smoother and more extended. I suspect what is happening with the 811815 is that it is getting more power than it can handle at the low end. This is a series XO, and series XO are brutal on tweeters.

Upping L1 from 100uH to 150uH makes the speaker a bit more agressive. Now, the original XO gives the sound I like. But then, I'm an old fart and dont like in-you-face music.

If you find the harshness is too much for you, change to the 27TFFC. Problem solved. You only problem is figuring out enlarge the rabbet around the tweeter cut-out. the Seas is 104mm while the Peerless is 100mm. The XO, however, works with both tweeters.

Bob

geitmans said:
I study in Leuven.

So does my younger brother - burgie chemie...

I don't know any specific places in Leuven, bur aren't there any electronics shops around?

There is a good adress in Antwerp www.diyparadiso.com that has all the quality stuff.

I know some overhere in West-Vlaanderen, but that ain't much of a help to you...

If I were you, I would look for an electronics shop, or a place where they do repairs of tv, stereo,...

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.