And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool!

JRKO - I'm a bit lost. Are you still doing 15+horn, or a 8-10" cone mid and tweeter?

Well from the recent posts It appears I have rather underestimated the quality/expense of drivers needed to travel down this yellow brick road.

I wanted a 3-way design to get the most from each driver. Due to my noobishness I hadn't really caught on to the fact that serious bass drivers were going to be so expensive. I failed to understand that to achieve the accurate and powerful sound I described would mean the £800/$1300 budget meant I might have to pick suboptimal parts.

Would my money be better spent on a 2-way? bass that reaches 500-1000hz and a 2" CD w/horn?

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
spend the money on the needed electronics, and it might still be possible with the cheaper drivers like Fane's Sovereign

even if you can get a very nice tweeter like the FaitalPro HF100 very cheap, the needed waveguide could still be expencive enough to push the budget

so just finding a cheap but good waveguide could help a lot
or start the project with constructing you own waveguide :D
but forget all about 2" drivers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As always in audio - "It depends". You just have to budget for it. I don't think you'll get a top notch 3-way horn system for you budget, but you might come close.

The other way is 15/8/tweeter. Say a PD or Faital woofer, the Emmy Beta 8 and a Hi-Vi planar tweeter. I suggest the Beta + Hivi combo because I know it works so well. I've heard it in Gary Pimm's system. IIRC, it was just an small inductor on the 8" and a cap on the planar. They mate seamlessly at about 5 KHz.

I've heard a number of systems like this over the years - and with the right drivers and crossover they are very good indeed. Everything from Focal/Lowther/Fostex to Eminence 18/Eminence 12/ dome tweeter. Done right, it's great and tracks well from low levels to high.

The flip side to that is 15" woofer and a big horn. There you have to decide between 1" or 1.4" drivers. The 1.4" drivers will play clean down to about 700Hz, but not all will play clean up to 15-16 KHz. That's driver and horn dependent. With a good 1" driver you could cross circa 1200 hz. It's been done successfully many times. As Tinitus says , forget the 2" drivers.

If you want to go the horn route, you could build your own - cheap but very time consuming - or buy them. There are some really nice horns being built in Poland right now, they might not be too expensive to get to the UK. You could always drive down to pick them up. ;)

Seems to me that if you stick with the Faital Pro line you could do a 2-way horn system in budget, or go with a cone midrange and good tweeter and stay well within. It's up to you and your desires.

spend the money on the needed electronics, and it might still be possible with the cheaper drivers like Fane's Sovereign
I don't think you'll get a top notch 3-way horn system for you budget, but you might come close.

The other way is 15/8/tweeter........I've heard a number of systems like this over the years - and with the right drivers and crossover they are very good indeed. Everything from Focal/Lowther/Fostex to Eminence 18/Eminence 12/ dome tweeter. Done right, it's great and tracks well from low levels to high

I have every confidence in your advice Pano. I'm losing confidence in in the lower spec drivers. I guess, as tinitus says the electronics can pull it together, but it seems a shadow of the system I had in mind :grumpy:

The flip side to that is 15" woofer and a big horn. There you have to decide between 1" or 1.4" drivers. The 1.4" drivers will play clean down to about 700Hz, but not all will play clean up to 15-16 KHz. That's driver and horn dependent. With a good 1" driver you could cross circa 1200 hz. It's been done successfully many times. As Tinitus says , forget the 2" drivers.

If you want to go the horn route, you could build your own - cheap but very time consuming - or buy them. There are some really nice horns being built in Poland right now, they might not be too expensive to get to the UK. You could always drive down to pick them up. ;)

Seems to me that if you stick with the Faital Pro line you could do a 2-way horn system in budget, or go with a cone midrange and good tweeter and stay well within. It's up to you and your desires.

I'm conflicted :headbash: :scratch2: :xeye: :grumpy:

I've been reading http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/139921-hi-end-hi-efficency-loudspeakers-horn-onken-4.html - it seems the Onken can be done with other drivers using the calcs that are available.

Sorry to be a let down guys. It just seems I'll have to make too many compromises (unseen and unknown to me due to my ignorance) on the original idea

Maybe some further reading is in order.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have every confidence in your advice Pano.

I enjoyed it too

FaitalPro HF100 is a very nice CD
smooth, sweet, and cheap
tho my experience is with the old one, new model looks it could be crossed quite low for its size
bought it from Lean

btw, I have revised my own similar project about a hundred times by now
but during this thread I have decided to start the project by building a big mono sub :D
and let the rest go on from there

Any of you guys ever played with Faital Pro drivers?

The last two years i´ve not used any other compression drivers, almost always the HF104
which is to my ears the best there is.
The HF100 is a faboulus driver and at the price i cant imagine it could be bettered.
Their SHT tractrix horn i also find very good and really cheap.

All Faital drivers i´ve seen and used has the highest build quality i ever encountered.

pm210c.jpg

You should allways dissassemble to see how its made when new toys arrive, very often one can get them back in working order again.

P1010542.jpg

This is what I've had on the drawing board for a while now. Hoping to get started on it early next year.

Four Omega 18 Pros in sealed enclosures, four Beta 10s, 10" DDS ENG-90 Pro waveguide and whatever compression driver I ultimately decide on.

Six foot tall silhouette for scale.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

se

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.