And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 01:01 PM   #591
diyAudio Member

Multicells are tough for one reason. Joints. To do that number of joints correctly, with a good fit, is extremely difficult at the very least. It would take a lot of planning and a lot of precision in execution, and you still may have major trouble.In a situation like that, any mistake starts to compound on you.

If using flexible ply, you would have to make sure to have a good skeletalsupport structure, as it does not have the rigidity of standard 1/4 ply or even luan.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:24 PM   #592
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I had in mind cnc cut panels x 4 per cell. Have top & bottom wider so the sides butt up to them. Then spend the rest of my life glueing them all together.

If metal I guess silver solder could work as long as you have a former inside so the panels don't deform under heat

How where the Altec multicells made?
Old 21st November 2012, 01:27 PM   #593
diyAudio Member

Dunno. Here is some eye candy. Dont kow how they sound, but they look wicked cool.

How is that for a sound room!

Your package goes out today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg index.php.jpeg (73.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 21st November 2012, 01:34 PM   #594
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If I were building a multicell from scratch, I'd use thin card or thick paper. Easy to cut, bend and glue. Once built, cover the outside of the cells with whatever damping you choose.

I've made paper-maché horns before and they were wonderful. The base layer was very heavy water color paper. 100% cotton.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:37 PM   #595
diyAudio Member

PAno, Can you think of anything they could be dipped in that would make them stiffer and stronger? Close in thopen areas between the cells and let them fill with same product and you could kill resonances at the same time.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:48 PM   #596
diyAudio Moderator

High melt point wax should do nicely. Shootz, you could probably spray the backs with truck bed liner. It works well on speaker baffles. Foam might work, but I'm not sure.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:54 PM   #597
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
To do that number of joints correctly, with a good fit, is extremely difficult at the very least.
Patience Grasshopper.
Quote:
make sure to have a good skeletalsupport structure
Not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I had in mind cnc cut panels x 4 per cell. Have top & bottom wider so the sides butt up to them. Then spend the rest of my life glueing them all together.
CNC yes, but they must be made all the same. Then as you have seen Petter Persson do, you use different sized rings as clamps and slide them down until snug. Brilliant idea.
Quote:
How where the Altec multicells made?
By hand with the fumes going right up their noses and no sign of any breathing protection.
Oh you mean construction? Easy, the top and bottom panels on each segment had flanges that wrapped around the sides so they could be easily aligned and soldered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
If I were building a multicell from scratch, I'd use thin card or thick paper. Easy to cut, bend and glue. Once built, cover the outside of the cells with whatever damping you choose.
Great idea.
Quote:
I've made paper-maché horns before and they were wonderful. The base layer was very heavy water color paper. 100% cotton.
Big smile for Pano. I love inventive people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
PAno, Can you think of anything they could be dipped in that would make them stiffer and stronger? Close in thopen areas between the cells and let them fill with same product and you could kill resonances at the same time.
Once you figure out something to initially stiffen them you can carefully fill in the gaps with expanding foam, slice off the excess and coat it with the finish of your choice.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:56 PM   #598
diyAudio Member

paper/card multicells? that I can do 'from the kitchen table' I guess the curves in the cell walls will add a certain level of instant stability? strips of paper soaked in wallpaper paste draped over the joins then another layer running in the opposite direction.

Any nifty pages for paper multicells Pano?

I found this on tractrix etc DIY Paper Horn the only downside is you have to make a perfect mould....

I was looking at carbon fibre this morning for multicells.....
Old 21st November 2012, 02:03 PM   #599
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
CNC yes, but they must be made all the same. Then as you have seen Petter Persson do, you use different sized rings as clamps and slide them down until snug. Brilliant idea.
That was a great idea. Its SUCH a shame he hosted his images rather than posting them his PM box is full and he hasn't posted for a while....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
By hand with the fumes going right up their noses and no sign of any breathing protection.
Oh you mean construction? Easy, the top and bottom panels on each segment had flanges that wrapped around the sides so they could be easily aligned and soldered
Ah the good old days, before common sense was replaced by health and safety and you could inhale anything without it harming you

Simple ideas are the best! bent the excess over the other sides and solder - hey presto ALTECS!!!
Old 21st November 2012, 02:08 PM   #600
diyAudio Moderator

Carbon fiber?? How deep are your pockets? Nahhh, just use cellulose fiber, it's got carbon in it.

Never seen paper multi-cells, but that's how I'd build if they did not need to be super sturdy like pro horns that are made of metal. I used all expensive water color paper on my horns because we had plenty of scraps at work. I also used wallpaper paste and tape. Tedious does not begin to describe it, but I was building up layer after layer. I don't think you'd need to do the mashed up paper thing, just build the shapes then use an easy back coat for damping.

You'll have enough work with all the parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!