And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 10:25 AM   #571
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
D'OH!!!!! Curse my Mac keyboard!!! I divided instead

yes its 3.26"
lol you should use an Amiga keyboard, thats what NASA used to use: Video: NASA Morpheus moon lander crashes & explodes on test flight - YouTube

I blame the transition to Windows computers.

Last edited by freax; 16th November 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafeEric View Post
I have also purchased a pair of D220Ti's but am working on finding the right horn, currently.
probably you have already chosen a horn. but these work good for my 220s.
https://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...umber=292-2572
smooth compared to earlier cd-horns that have edges in them. and can be crossed pretty low.
Old 16th November 2012, 05:07 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Holy poop!! Your replying now to LafeEric who posted that 553 posts ago???

I'm just guessing but did you read the whole thread before posting randomly

Last edited by JRKO; 16th November 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 16th November 2012, 05:17 PM   #574
diyAudio Member

So I have 2 other parts of the puzzle to collect before I can use the HF144's.

Unfortunately they dont come in cereal boxes thou finding a minidsp in you cherios would be less of a shock than a 8 cell horn

It will be the end of the month before I can raise the £200 for the horns and then a week or two for the minidsp, unless I can lose that in the monthly shop somehow

I am going to need a preamp at some point too but I guess I can make do with the volume control on the minidsp for a while. I'm heading towards a battery powered B1 with board & jfets from Nelson himself.

I think I can power the minidsp from a battery as well. I wonder what the benefits would be? Other than the obvious - getting it of the crappy circuits in my block and one less mains socket needed!!
Old 16th November 2012, 05:20 PM   #575
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einis View Post
Hmm, its mouth transition is much too abrupt. Adding a foam lip ALA Peavy's Quadratic Throat WG patent is a good plan. That, or a foam insert after Dr. Geddes's patent.

GM
Old 16th November 2012, 05:35 PM   #576
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
a 8 cell horn
Which one?

If your mains power is as bad as mine, battery power is de-riguer for HIFI/HT apps if you don't have a power conditioner. Worse is all the shielding required in my locale. 'Customer no service' AT&T's crappy DSL modem can't hardly function without shielding and even then, their line filtering leaves something to be desired if I understand correctly how this system works.

GM
Old 16th November 2012, 06:24 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

This one 8 Cell Multicell Horns for JBL,Beyma,Altec, | eBay

Would value your input on this one GM

As for power, I am thinking of using the ACA (5w class A) for the HF144's and for midbass a Hifimediy T1 (100W into 8ohms ) both of which I can power with SLA's!!

I thought Ideally I could get my entire system from preamp upwards of grid and just have the sources on the mains.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:55 PM   #578
diyAudio Member

Hmm, larger than an 808, smaller than an 805, so guess it's designed for the 20-20 kHz BW's mean equal power point = ~632 Hz XO.

The throats don't come to as sharp a point as the tin 'can' horns, so HF response won't be quite as smooth/extended, but overall looks like a good bang/buck product.

Sure wish I had the patience! I wonder how much a [12] cell would be to get down to 500 Hz [1205].

GM
Old 16th November 2012, 09:12 PM   #579
diyAudio Member

is the 632hx the cut off for this multicell so I should crossover higher, say 750hz?

the guy also makes a 15 Cell version. We noted some odd details in the throats pics. From the builder - 'Because of the widening of the of the entrance it keeps all the 15 appertures the same area never thought about it before" & "yes the cells are slightly shorter on the outside banks but the throats make up the differance by being longer on the outside edges"

Last edited by JRKO; 16th November 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 16th November 2012, 09:53 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
The throats don't come to as sharp a point as the tin 'can' horns, so HF response won't be quite as smooth/extended, but overall looks like a good bang/buck product.

GM
Just to clarify, do you mean small end or the large end of the cells are not as sharp? The guy seems open to small detail changes

Hide this!Advertise here!