And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 10:50 PM   #531
diyAudio Member

Just brought it uo for cost considetation, as DACs are not cheap.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:57 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
some are.......DAC eBay

I'll probably start with the minidsp and see where I'm headed from there. Look at me!! I haven't even got a pair of horns yet!!!!
Old 9th November 2012, 01:59 PM   #533
diyAudio Member

Happy days!!! Drivers ordered and I managed to save some pennies along the way.

Bluearan 191 per driver
Lean Business 144 per driver

saving me 94

Thats enough for a minidsp
Old 9th November 2012, 02:55 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

As for DACs I use an Echo Audio AF12 (12 channel AD-DA, 24dB 192kHz) which cost me 350 new.
In blind tests it is equal to Apogees Rosetta which is 1500 for a 2 channel unit.
Old 10th November 2012, 06:56 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Would the volume control in a B1 be enough feeding the minidsp?

Ok I just found out the ADC is ok but the volume control onboard the minidsp is lossy Whats the point in digitising a signal and then offering only part of it back unless you play at full volume?????? Who wants most of their music signal??? I might not fully understand the whole bit depth sample rate malarky but less is less. I listen at lower levels, so most of the time I'll be getting less info than a standard 16bit CD thru a standard system With a compression driver and high effeciancy 15" driver circa 96dB\W\m I cant very well play full blast. I know I can try it an see how it sounds but I'll always know there is more info in there I'm not being allowed to listen to.

If the B1 pre volume control is the best solution this means I'll need a volume control after the minidsp - for 4 channels
Old 11th November 2012, 08:11 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Why not use B1 before mini.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:22 AM   #537
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I might not fully understand the whole bit depth sample rate malarky but less is less. I listen at lower levels, so most of the time I'll be getting less info than a standard 16bit CD thru a standard system
Not all digital volume controls are created equal. If you are running at 24 bits or higher, it really does no harm. There are software players that do volume control in floating 32 or 64 bit, then bring the stream out in 32, 24 or 16 bit as you choose. I've done listening tests and measurements galore, and can't find that it does anything but lower the S/N ratio. Analog volume controls do that too, in a different way.

If you are afraid of losing bits, then you really shouldn't use a digital crossover/EQ. How do you think they generate the crossover slopes and EQs?

You do want to get your gain structure right before you start doing volume control. Usually your power amps will have far more gain than you need.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:17 AM   #538
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have never found that digital volume controls, properly integrated into the overall gain structure, ever degrade the sound. On the other hand, analogue volume controls are something I have deep suspicion of, once you become sensitive to the signature distortion of the conventional setup then you steer well clear of them ...

Frank
Old 11th November 2012, 12:54 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
If you are afraid of losing bits, then you really shouldn't use a digital crossover/EQ. How do you think they generate the crossover slopes and EQs?
You do want to get your gain structure right before you start doing volume control. Usually your power amps will have far more gain than you need.
If the remaining signal, whatever its sample rate and bit depth is then top skimmed again (and variably at that) couldn't you in theory end up with an 8bit/48khz signal being amplified?

Ah, who knows. I've got to deal with it at the moment as I have a snowballs chance in hell of sorting a passive filter, especially as I'll be using the CD's with the Emken before I get the midbass drivers in. Of the two options which is better? B1 fed - volume - minidsp - amps, or Signals - minidsp - volume - amps? I guess I can try both with a B1 volume control at max and use the minidsp vol or minidsp at max use the B1 control.

I found your gain structure article Pano - good read. I saw it come up in the active vs passive thread (which I think comes down to ease of design/construction/use) as well as a potential pitfall

Now I have to read about the B1 options!!

Last edited by JRKO; 11th November 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:25 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

The HF144's have arrived. Thats part 1 of 3.

next horns & minidsp

Hide this!Advertise here!