Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 07:11 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Thanks Pano. Is that the thread by weltersys you are noting above? if not please can I have a linky?

does the resonance peak occur with the impedance peak in CD drivers? I can easily get away with low power listening at home and then change the crossover for out and about use at higher volumes. The joys of the minidsp await!! (not sure about feeding it my vinyl collection thou - any thoughts anyone?)

I'll use this while I get used to the sound & save up for something more.....um......horny
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:11 PM   #512
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the driver test thread by Weltersys.

Interested to know how the little Faital horn works out. I can't see a 14" horn being able to cross cleanly at 800Hz, but you never know! Hopefully, you'll be able to tell us.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:19 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

JRKO,
FYI, i have been reading about the minidsp while waiting, and it has some noise issues with high efficiency systems. Gain structure becomes very important or noise is an issue. I wasnt sure if you were considering it as XO unit, having mentioned it to me. I have not heard these issues with Behringer.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:29 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Interested to know how the little Faital horn works out. I can't see a 14" horn being able to cross cleanly at 800Hz, but you never know! Hopefully, you'll be able to tell us.
Do you mean 14" as in 13.8" mouth width or was it a 1.4" without the decimal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
JRKO,
FYI, i have been reading about the minidsp while waiting, and it has some noise issues with high efficiency systems. Gain structure becomes very important or noise is an issue. I wasnt sure if you were considering it as XO unit, having mentioned it to me. I have not heard these issues with Behringer.
I'll have to look into the minidsp hi eff noise issue (any threads welcome). As I understand it the Behringer units can cause issue because they run at 7v or so because they are pro balanced units.

I'm still not sure about shoving a perfectly good analogue signal thru the ADC-DAC system but thats another storey & more reading........
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:31 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I'll have to look into the minidsp hi eff noise issue (any threads welcome). As I understand it the Behringer units can cause issue because they run at 7v or so because they are pro balanced units.

I'm still not sure about shoving a perfectly good analogue signal thru the ADC-DAC system but thats another storey & more reading........
I agree, just a "in the meantime" option.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:12 PM   #516
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Do you mean 14" as in 13.8" mouth width or was it a 1.4" without the decimal?
I meant the mouth width. I was being kind rounding up to 14". FWIW, the Altec 811 has a mouth width of 18" and it's called an 800 Hz horn. Cut-off is about 500 Hz. As much as the modern marketing departments try, the laws of physics are hard to bend.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Settlement cheque arrived in the mail!! Breakers yard had 2 of my model in unknown colours. Drove up with a friend and searched among 2000 odd cars. The first one we found was green. A little more searching and we found the second one - an exact match in colour and trim !!!BONUS!!! Also picked up a bumper as mine had a bad respray that is peeling. Not bad for 100 all in.

Parts are stored in a mates big garage awaiting a rainy day (awaiting??) when he's free to help fit them

Now I have a few pennies to spend on drivers and taking the very supportive & patient Mrs JRKO out for a meal.
Old 5th November 2012, 06:38 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

and now for drivers

Faital Pro HF144 looks good to me. It will give me some latitude in crossover freq., has the recommended Ketone Polymer diaphragm, is a 1.4" driver with slightly higher power rating, lower crossover point, and maybe a few more horns are available for 1.4"(?).

Before I press the button at the end of the week are there any other suggestions for around 150 a pop?
Old 7th November 2012, 06:53 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

heres another W Onken shot for you Pano, from Analog Forum 2012

Cant wait until Friday - I can order my 144's!!!!! still open to other options in the price range. I'll take silence as approval......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onken W.jpg (151.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #520
diyAudio Moderator

Wow! Very cool - thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!