And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2012, 09:17 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Thanks tinitus. What weight represents a light cone?

The 12inch Beyma 12MI100 with Qts of 0.22 & 100dB/W@1m has an mms of 0.047Kg an fs of 58Hz.

The 12inch Dayton SD315-88 with Qts of 0.34 & 94dB/W@1m has an mms of 0.109Kg and an fs of 26.9Hz

The 15inch Dayton DVC385-88 with Qts of 0.36 & 90dB/W@1m has an mms of 0.297Kg and an fs of 19Hz

The 15inch Beyma 15MI100 with Qts of 0.28 & 101dB/W@1m has an mms of 0.072Kg and an fs of 48Hz

So the Dayton's win hands down for the given data?
Old 26th September 2012, 09:43 AM   #42
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I'd like to come in from the left field with my suggestion.

Bass: two AE Speakers 15'' bass drivers (TD15S or TD15X, maybe), or 12'' if you really can't fit the 15''-ers. Me, I'd go 15'' just for the sheer effortlessness.
Mids: either DC Gold Audio 6x9'' or 9.5'' from their Reference line. These have good dispersion high up, so not only do they sound good, but they simplify the XO design
Tweeter: LCY K100, with XO anywhere equal to or above 7kHz (the DC Gold units will handle this very easily)

Layout similar to JBLs, but with the mid slighly offset to one side (mirror-imaged).

If you want big, effortless and reasonably high efficiency (with the 9.5'' the eff will be circa 95dB/w). Just an idea.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 26th September 2012, 11:18 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
Bass: two AE Speakers 15'' bass drivers (TD15S or TD15X, maybe), or 12'' if you really can't fit the 15''-ers. Me, I'd go 15'' just for the sheer effortlessness.
Agreed. I have 2 TD15X/ch for my mains. TD15S for the surrounds.

Oh, and some FTW21 for the subs.
Old 26th September 2012, 01:02 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

The TD15? look nice but are 382 a pair before shipping to the UK (120ish insured) and the import taxes (100) so 602 for a pair

Drivers need to be easily available in the UK or Europe at farthest to make the cost more viable (% transport cost to driver cost - ie 58% of above driver cost is getting it here)

I've used both Bluearan.co.uk and europe-audio.com . They stock:

SoundLab
Monacor
Eminence
Fane
Alto
IMG Stage Line
Celestion
P Audio
Beyma
Precision Devices
Faital Pro
B&C
Dayton
Peerless
TB
Visaton
Old 26th September 2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The main question is - how big? How big a box or baffle can you stand? That's the limiting factor. And can you get away from the walls, or do you want a corner unit?

Two high Q 18s on open baffle are tighter than I would have ever thought. Four 18s don't have to move much to fill a medium size room.
Old 26th September 2012, 01:34 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

This little 21" horn might work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Also have drawings for same horn but 2x18"

Ingvar
Old 26th September 2012, 01:34 PM   #47
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
The TD15? look nice but are 382 a pair before shipping to the UK (120ish insured) and the import taxes (100) so 602 for a pair

Drivers need to be easily available in the UK or Europe at farthest to make the cost more viable (% transport cost to driver cost - ie 58% of above driver cost is getting it here)
True, but if you want the best... I know the price is steep, but I do think that even so it might be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
I've used both Bluearan.co.uk and europe-audio.com . They stock:

SoundLab
Monacor
Eminence
Fane
Alto
IMG Stage Line
Celestion
P Audio
Beyma
Precision Devices
Faital Pro
B&C
Dayton
Peerless
TB
Visaton
Out of that list two names stand out to me (that is not to say the others aren't good, but these stand out to me). The two names are Precision Devices and Dayton. PD carry some very good drivers especially in their upper lines. As for Dayton, I'd look at their top-of-the-line home units. The metal cone ones. Very nice for the price, albeit not too effificient. There is one name not on your list that is also European (AFAIK), namely PHL. They also make very good drivers, and also warrant a closer look at.

Enjoy,
Deon

PS. Don't throw the DC Gold units away because they're less well known. These drivers have replaced some seriouisly well regarded drivers in some systems, and quite a few people swear by them.
Old 26th September 2012, 01:40 PM   #48
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

P.Audio Blue Monster Series woofers are very good. Extremely dynamic.
Old 26th September 2012, 01:41 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

If you can settle for an f3 of 35 Hz or so the JBL 2226H is a driver that's hard to beat - though also a bit expensive....
Old 26th September 2012, 01:41 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The main question is - how big? How big a box.......can you stand?
Maximum I could go is 850mm wide x 500mm deep x 1400mm tall - These are max individual dims I CANT USE ALL MAXIMUMS TOGETHER (strangely that works out very near a GR box )

We have a nice unit that is 600mm wide, 480mm deep and 1200mm tall (roughly 12cuft). It seems rather pleasing in its shape although enlarging the shape in width and/or height would still be suitable

This design needs to be close to wall in back and/or side - corner placement could be interesting

Hide this!Advertise here!