And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am slow, but I just remembered two designs done by Thorsten Loesch for Tangen AV Design. The Tangen AV Design website does not seem to exist anymore, but I have the designs for the XO and cabinets for both units. The Inconcert Miles uses the Beyma TPL-150H with 2x Beyma 15P80nd, and the Inconcert Duke uses the uses the Beyma TPL-150 with 2x Beyma 12P1000nd. If anyone is interested, I could try to post the designs. Alternatively, if anyone could tell me where I can upload the files (PDFs) to so everyone can see them, I will do that.

Deon

Are the two 15" in series or in parallel ? The schematic does not reveal that.

I have played with the TPL150 in four and now three way systems.

I use the TPL150 from about (would have to go check the current XO settings) 1300Hz upwards.

For midrange I use the JBL 2123J, which is maybe a touch retro, but a brilliant midrange with low distortion, extra flat response and sensitivity that allows it to play in the league of the TPL150.

I went for a 10 inch mid as this is in my mind the limit at which a crossover in the 1300-1500Hz range starts hitting lobing problems. A 12 inch would in my mind be pushing the limits and likely to suffer significantly off axis.

Just to be sure, I use an 18 inch sub for the bottom end. I looked at some of the beyma bass mids, and would have been tempted if I could get them at a sane price in Australia.

Well its been a while since my last post. 139 to be exact. So I must apologise to all of you who had helped me along and posted on this thread.

I got waylaid by an alternate hobby in the form of tropical fish......1 tank became 4, totalling 400l and a 6ft custom tank was on the cards. Then Mrs JRKO said 'I'd prefer you to make the big speakers' :confused:

So here I am again in search of a 15 incher for bass duties

This driver popped onto my scope. What do you think of the 18 Sound 15W930? http://www.eighteensound.it/Portals/0/PDFs/15W930.PDF

In a 55l vented box i get -3db at 65hz which is okay by me. It seems like a really tight sounding driver......

Last edited:
Any thoughts from the rest of the gang?

Pano, GM, tinitus, IG81, Cal, Buzz, Sippy etc!!!! Are you out there????? The prodigal speaker builder has returned :D

And I still don't have a clue :confused:

18sound 15W930 vs Faital Pro 15FH500

to mate with Faital Pro HF144 keytone polymer 1.4 inch CD

I could really use the help :grouphug:

Any thoughts from the rest of the gang?

Pano, GM, tinitus, IG81, Cal, Buzz, Sippy etc!!!! Are you out there????? The prodigal speaker builder has returned :D

I could really use the help :grouphug:

Welcome back from the deep mate....... I've been having a 'proper time of it' last few months...... now suffering the same thing as before:

Drive units - Check
Box design - Check
Wood - Check
Some one to cut wood - Fail.

Then Mrs JRKO said 'I'd prefer you to make the big speakers'

Thats a dangerous thing to say to a man who likes big speakers:D

Had an uncle who "got into the fish game" with tropicals. By the time he pulled out, he had 2 of the bedrooms his daughters abandoned in adulthood FULL of tanks, scores of them from 10 Gallon to 1K gallon you could barely walk between the rows of tanks, it was humid as the jungle in there too.......

Auntie told him to go back to playing with cars.....

I wish I had something to add to the driver discussion, I'm planning a lower budget HE lash-up myself, since I bought a Mini DSP and some amps to play with.....

I'm still following in the lurker zone to see what you come up with!

John

I am really liking the Faital Pro 15pr400. Here is latest response from K2 clone. Measurements are indoors so you are getting some room effect as well as allison effect due to driver mounting position. The Hf140 is titanium diaphragm and you can see the nasty little breakup up high. That being said, doesnt sound too bad.

Attachments

• k2 attempt.jpg
    k2 attempt.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 424
I am really liking the Faital Pro 15pr400. Here is latest response from K2 clone. Measurements are indoors so you are getting some room effect as well as allison effect due to driver mounting position. The Hf140 is titanium diaphragm and you can see the nasty little breakup up high. That being said, doesnt sound too bad.

Hi buzz! What's the cabinet size of the K2?

internal - 36" x 17
driver offset - 9"
port offset - 34"
port 3" x 3"
stuffing according to ear
PLENTY of bass in room. not flabby bass.

15pr400 is low mass cone that is efficient with low inductance and extension that rivals TD15M

this is just bass bin. horn will be housed seperately above with seamless external look

Look at the specs for Altec/GPA 515B, G as these were specifically designed to work with 1.4" exit multi-cells and the 416B as 'good enough' alternate that trades a bit of efficiency and HF BW for for a tonal balance to a lower LF corner frequency.

Odds are though that any other brands/models will be equally [or more] expensive than GPA's pricing. Note too that to get the full benefit of using a multi-cell either requires a horn loaded single 15" or large baffle loaded dual 15" drivers.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.