And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #351
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ah, silly me, I didn't count the cells. Should have known if it's as wide as the Onken-W, then is must be an 1803. Cal Weldon has a pair of those, lucky fellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
If I use the minidsp I can muck around with crossovers to my hearts content or are physical crossovers the preferred method with horns?
I think passive crossovers sound a bit more natural than active, but that just my taste. I ran my system active for a long time. The big advantage of active crossovers is they are so much easier to get right. And you can tweak and tweak to your heart's content.

I dunno about the 8 cell wooden horns. I doubt they would suck.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:57 PM   #352
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I think passive crossovers sound a bit more natural than active, but that just my taste. I ran my system active for a long time. The big advantage of active crossovers is they are so much easier to get right. And you can tweak and tweak to your heart's content...
Are you advocating figuring out a system by being active and then transferring that to passive?

Wouldn't you recommend that most for a smaller speaker rather than something larger that would most likely take more power to run?
Old 8th October 2012, 12:02 AM   #353
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, large speakers take less power - as they are more efficient. Remember? I hardly ever crack 1 watt. Average is more like 1/8 watt or less.

Doing the prototyping in active was a huge help for me. Once I had what I wanted, I made a passive crossover that does the exact same filter functions as the active. You have to measure the driver impedance curves for that. It took only minor tweaking once the passive was built. Very happy with the result.
Old 8th October 2012, 03:20 PM   #354
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingvar ahlberg View Post
I would, thou, recomend a look at the 15FH510, the new ferit motor version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
tried a calculation
hard to squeeze much deep bass out of that one
maybe 0.27 Qts is a bit on the low side to do ordinary vented BR
my applogy
Im getting tired of searching and calculating, and not finding the one and only perfect one
so I might actually choose to spend the rest of my sorry life with this one
not perfect bottom, but nice top, and does not demand a big space
Old 10th October 2012, 01:04 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
so I might actually choose to spend the rest of my sorry life with this one. not perfect bottom, but nice top, and does not demand a big space
Been bashing away at T/S numbers and boxes. I keep coming back to the 15FH510 too. It should see me to somewhere between 1khz and 2khz for a crossover with the HF100 or HF104

Just concerned about such a physically big driver covering the vocal etc range.....
Old 10th October 2012, 01:38 PM   #356
diyAudio Member

I am simply trying to decide what horn to mate with the 15fh510. I may go for the 1.4" Faital with polymer diaghram for more low end. It seems we may have a trifecta of speakers going soon. I really like the look of the JBL K2, but was realy thnking JMLC horns instead of biradial. I cannot find much info on the biradials. Imight ask jinzaga.
AS for big driver covering vocal range, evryone I have talked to likes it that way. More body in the music, vs sounding shallow. I would think you have a good idea of this based on the Emken.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:49 PM   #357
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I may go for the 1.4" Faital with polymer diaghram for more low end.
new HF107 looks interesting
Old 10th October 2012, 03:33 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
I am simply trying to decide what horn to mate with the 15fh510. I may go for the 1.4" Faital with polymer diaghram for more low end. It seems we may have a trifecta of speakers going soon. I really like the look of the JBL K2, but was realy thnking JMLC horns instead of biradial. I cannot find much info on the biradials. Imight ask jinzaga.
Yeah the JMLC 600 is looking good. Can you point to any reviews, measurements etc? Am trying to find out if they have a UK distributer.

Quote:
AS for big driver covering vocal range, evryone I have talked to likes it that way. More body in the music, vs sounding shallow. I would think you have a good idea of this based on the Emken.
Yes the Emken is very good. I was just concerned that the extra 3 inches and lack of a whizzer might kill it off slightly. The 15fh510 freq/resp graph is a thing of beauty for such a big driver thou!!
Old 10th October 2012, 04:15 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

@Tinitus,
I will begetting the hf144 or 204. Both push resonant impedance down low and will give the option of crossing low or high,depending on what you want handle vocal range.

@JRKO,
Not much info on any of them, really. I will sjoot jinzaga an email and ask for more info.
Old 10th October 2012, 05:38 PM   #360
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Yeah the JMLC 600 is looking good. Can you point to any reviews, measurements etc? Am trying to find out if they have a UK distributer.

Yes the Emken is very good. I was just concerned that the extra 3 inches and lack of a whizzer might kill it off slightly. The 15fh510 freq/resp graph is a thing of beauty for such a big driver thou!!
A friend of mine has the JMLC 300 with TAD driver. They sound wonderful and have a very wide but acurate dispersion. The sound stage is as impressive as the detail. I like my round tractrix, but they are narrow where the JMLC is not.

Hide this!Advertise here!