And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 10:28 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

That's how I found out about their existence.

A bit beyond my usual price range and at that price (or any other for that matter) I would absolutely insist on active speakers.
Old 30th September 2012, 07:32 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Cool!

JRKO - I'm a bit lost. Are you still doing 15+horn, or a 8-10" cone mid and tweeter?
Well from the recent posts It appears I have rather underestimated the quality/expense of drivers needed to travel down this yellow brick road.

I wanted a 3-way design to get the most from each driver. Due to my noobishness I hadn't really caught on to the fact that serious bass drivers were going to be so expensive. I failed to understand that to achieve the accurate and powerful sound I described would mean the 800/$1300 budget meant I might have to pick suboptimal parts.

Would my money be better spent on a 2-way? bass that reaches 500-1000hz and a 2" CD w/horn?

Last edited by JRKO; 30th September 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 30th September 2012, 12:03 PM   #223
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

spend the money on the needed electronics, and it might still be possible with the cheaper drivers like Fane's Sovereign

even if you can get a very nice tweeter like the FaitalPro HF100 very cheap, the needed waveguide could still be expencive enough to push the budget

so just finding a cheap but good waveguide could help a lot
or start the project with constructing you own waveguide
but forget all about 2" drivers
Old 30th September 2012, 04:06 PM   #224
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As always in audio - "It depends". You just have to budget for it. I don't think you'll get a top notch 3-way horn system for you budget, but you might come close.

The other way is 15/8/tweeter. Say a PD or Faital woofer, the Emmy Beta 8 and a Hi-Vi planar tweeter. I suggest the Beta + Hivi combo because I know it works so well. I've heard it in Gary Pimm's system. IIRC, it was just an small inductor on the 8" and a cap on the planar. They mate seamlessly at about 5 KHz.

I've heard a number of systems like this over the years - and with the right drivers and crossover they are very good indeed. Everything from Focal/Lowther/Fostex to Eminence 18/Eminence 12/ dome tweeter. Done right, it's great and tracks well from low levels to high.

The flip side to that is 15" woofer and a big horn. There you have to decide between 1" or 1.4" drivers. The 1.4" drivers will play clean down to about 700Hz, but not all will play clean up to 15-16 KHz. That's driver and horn dependent. With a good 1" driver you could cross circa 1200 hz. It's been done successfully many times. As Tinitus says , forget the 2" drivers.

If you want to go the horn route, you could build your own - cheap but very time consuming - or buy them. There are some really nice horns being built in Poland right now, they might not be too expensive to get to the UK. You could always drive down to pick them up.

Seems to me that if you stick with the Faital Pro line you could do a 2-way horn system in budget, or go with a cone midrange and good tweeter and stay well within. It's up to you and your desires.
Old 30th September 2012, 04:39 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Pano, which Hi-Vi planar tweeter?
Old 30th September 2012, 04:40 PM   #226
diyAudio Moderator

Ehhhh.... I'm trying to remember. Been looking at catalogs. Wow! They have really jumped in price. If I can dig out the model number, I'll post it. It was a white/silver face, not black.
Old 30th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Eeep! The RT2 Pro?

HiVi RT2-Pro Planar Isodynamic Tweeter 297-404
Old 30th September 2012, 04:51 PM   #228
diyAudio Moderator

Almost as bad. Looked at a photo and it seems to be the RT8-II or a previous model. $200
Old 30th September 2012, 05:15 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
spend the money on the needed electronics, and it might still be possible with the cheaper drivers like Fane's Sovereign
Quote:
I don't think you'll get a top notch 3-way horn system for you budget, but you might come close.

The other way is 15/8/tweeter........I've heard a number of systems like this over the years - and with the right drivers and crossover they are very good indeed. Everything from Focal/Lowther/Fostex to Eminence 18/Eminence 12/ dome tweeter. Done right, it's great and tracks well from low levels to high
I have every confidence in your advice Pano. I'm losing confidence in in the lower spec drivers. I guess, as tinitus says the electronics can pull it together, but it seems a shadow of the system I had in mind

Quote:
The flip side to that is 15" woofer and a big horn. There you have to decide between 1" or 1.4" drivers. The 1.4" drivers will play clean down to about 700Hz, but not all will play clean up to 15-16 KHz. That's driver and horn dependent. With a good 1" driver you could cross circa 1200 hz. It's been done successfully many times. As Tinitus says , forget the 2" drivers.

If you want to go the horn route, you could build your own - cheap but very time consuming - or buy them. There are some really nice horns being built in Poland right now, they might not be too expensive to get to the UK. You could always drive down to pick them up.

Seems to me that if you stick with the Faital Pro line you could do a 2-way horn system in budget, or go with a cone midrange and good tweeter and stay well within. It's up to you and your desires.
I'm conflicted

I've been reading Hi-End and Hi-Efficency loudspeakers (horn + onken) - it seems the Onken can be done with other drivers using the calcs that are available.

Sorry to be a let down guys. It just seems I'll have to make too many compromises (unseen and unknown to me due to my ignorance) on the original idea

Maybe some further reading is in order.
Old 30th September 2012, 06:14 PM   #230
diyAudio Moderator

No worries. Take a break, read and think about what you want. If you want a world class horn system, it won't be cheap.

Hide this!Advertise here!