And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 04:09 PM   #131
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Vancouver
Cone break-up?
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:10 PM   #132
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
IG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Can anyone explain the virtues of picking a smaller mid driver than a 10 incher. I can't seem to understand the issues involved
The larger driver will start to beam lower. (Pano beat me to it ) IIRC from my measurements, the TF1020 had good 60 dispersion up to ~1.5kHz. An 8" driver might make it a bit higher, if wide and even dispersion is a goal of this project, but otherwise, TF1020 makes it to ~2.5kHz before its first breakup, so you'd be good for your 200Hz-2kHz range with it.

IG
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:18 PM   #133
diyAudio Member
 
JRKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: U.K.
Send a message via AIM to JRKO
ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?
__________________
In the interests of full disclosure JRKO = James Rupert Kingsley Osborne. And yes, my parents will pay for it when I choose their retirement home
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #134
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
IG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?
Yes, beaming is the reduction in dispersion angle as the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone diameter. It's a bit the same principle for breakup AFAIK, in the sense that when the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone radius, the cone is not moving in unison, aka pistonic movement. This will happen with all drivers, it's just that some will do it more gracefully and barely exhibit a thing on their response, while others will get large peaks and dips.

IG
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:35 PM   #135
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The Alpha 6 is "OK", but not the driver that the Beta 8 is.
just of general interest, the 8ohm 6A, or 4ohm 6C ?

at least on paper they appear to measure differently
around here I have only seen the 8ohm 6A in OB
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:40 PM   #136
diyAudio Member
 
JRKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: U.K.
Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air
__________________
In the interests of full disclosure JRKO = James Rupert Kingsley Osborne. And yes, my parents will pay for it when I choose their retirement home
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #137
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
IG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air
At least this is how I understand it to work - there are folks way more knowledgeable than me who are welcome to correct any idiocies that I may spit out!

wavelenght = speed of sound divided by frequency. For c=343m/s and 1kHz, 343/1000=34.3cm, for example.

I bought my TF1020 based on the low sale price at the time and this guy's (stevie) comment on it, no direct test results, so has to be taken FWIW:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/celest...73.html#354373

IG

Last edited by IG81; 27th September 2012 at 04:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #138
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring.
then it might be time to throw in another hat...BSC
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #139
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
IG81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
then it might be time to throw in another hat...BSC
Assuming an active Xover and a large-*** enclosure as this might result in, BSC might be a non-issue.

IG
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 04:50 PM   #140
diyAudio Member
 
JRKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: U.K.
Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Oh great

The great and mystical Baffle Step Correction

How does that work on these very wide speakers? Wide is good right? (gets hit by wife )
__________________
In the interests of full disclosure JRKO = James Rupert Kingsley Osborne. And yes, my parents will pay for it when I choose their retirement home
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transformers: How big is TO big?? dfdye Power Supplies 39 4th September 2010 02:30 PM
Big Toroids & Big Caps K-amps Swap Meet 10 25th June 2009 07:43 PM
Having problems with port size... how big is far too big? fjhuerta Multi-Way 10 30th August 2005 06:20 PM
Big Big hum ??? vlljpior Tubes / Valves 4 26th August 2005 03:53 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2