And Now For Something REALLY BIG - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 04:09 PM   #131
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Cone break-up?
Old 27th September 2012, 04:10 PM   #132
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Can anyone explain the virtues of picking a smaller mid driver than a 10 incher. I can't seem to understand the issues involved
The larger driver will start to beam lower. (Pano beat me to it ) IIRC from my measurements, the TF1020 had good 60 dispersion up to ~1.5kHz. An 8" driver might make it a bit higher, if wide and even dispersion is a goal of this project, but otherwise, TF1020 makes it to ~2.5kHz before its first breakup, so you'd be good for your 200Hz-2kHz range with it.

IG
Old 27th September 2012, 04:18 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?
Old 27th September 2012, 04:23 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?
Yes, beaming is the reduction in dispersion angle as the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone diameter. It's a bit the same principle for breakup AFAIK, in the sense that when the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone radius, the cone is not moving in unison, aka pistonic movement. This will happen with all drivers, it's just that some will do it more gracefully and barely exhibit a thing on their response, while others will get large peaks and dips.

IG
Old 27th September 2012, 04:35 PM   #135
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The Alpha 6 is "OK", but not the driver that the Beta 8 is.
just of general interest, the 8ohm 6A, or 4ohm 6C ?

at least on paper they appear to measure differently
around here I have only seen the 8ohm 6A in OB
Old 27th September 2012, 04:40 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air
Old 27th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air
At least this is how I understand it to work - there are folks way more knowledgeable than me who are welcome to correct any idiocies that I may spit out!

wavelenght = speed of sound divided by frequency. For c=343m/s and 1kHz, 343/1000=34.3cm, for example.

I bought my TF1020 based on the low sale price at the time and this guy's (stevie) comment on it, no direct test results, so has to be taken FWIW:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/celest...73.html#354373

IG

Last edited by IG81; 27th September 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 27th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #138
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Cal the Connoseur , with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring.
then it might be time to throw in another hat...BSC
Old 27th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
then it might be time to throw in another hat...BSC
Assuming an active Xover and a large-*** enclosure as this might result in, BSC might be a non-issue.

IG
Old 27th September 2012, 04:50 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Oh great

The great and mystical Baffle Step Correction

How does that work on these very wide speakers? Wide is good right? (gets hit by wife )

Hide this!Advertise here!