And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi James,

I was away and didn't catch up on your ear damage until now. So sorry for you. I hope the others are right and that patience will pull you through until it repairs itself. I can't believe you are even thinking about audio right now, unless of course it is a type of relief from the other things.

Also sad that things didn't work out right away on the horn front. It did seem awfully ambitious so I hope you aren't letting it bother you too much. I don't think I would have been brave enough to try that. I am having a hard enough time with foam board and a hot glue gun making Cornu copies.

Thanks Cal. I cant quite muster the £50 I need to get a laser gut guide for the final paper horn - especially if I cant make the general basic working model :D

There's always this type of tractrix to try. It looks a tad simpler....
.....famous last words

Attachments

• Bathorn9.jpg.w560h420.jpg
    Bathorn9.jpg.w560h420.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 531

Attachments

• shou-sugi-ban.png
    shou-sugi-ban.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 475
  • Shousugiban022.JPG
    Shousugiban022.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Hi JRKO,
I tried starting a new thread, but for some reason I have had no takers, so I thought I would just ask you!
I am wanting to do something very similar and was wondering what configuration for the Bass cabinets are you looking at now? Last I saw was that you were going to use faitalpro. But as a bass reflex or onken or something else? Maybe I missed something. If so sorry!
Cheers
A

I also like large drivers and still believe that You cant beat qubic inches.

But, i don´t like x-overs, especially if they´re used in the fundamental voice region, say 300-3kHz.

This means i have to use LF drivers that are very good in the voice area, 10-12" is, in my opinion, the best choice for this.
We still want the fantastic low level dynamics that large drivers deliver, what to do?

First try, turned out really ok, was this:

moc11.jpg

A tiny litle speaker that actually is allmost a 2-way design, the larger of the round parts is a Beyma 21L50, this ,unfortunately out of production, 21" driver is lowpassed at about 85Hz, the smaller round thing is a Beyma 10G40, only lowpassed at about 3k, firing backwards in what could be regarded as a TQWT but with exponential expansion.

The square thing is a Beyma TPL150, AMT driver, system sensitivity at around 100dB and fantastic low-level dynamics.

It moved furniture at pretty modest levels so the 21" was perhaps a bit too large for our livingroom.

What to do then?

Ingvar

Your speakers are beautiful Ingvar! It's ironic that I saw them because I've been conceptualizing something very similar in appearance. I plan to build a similar set but quite a bit more modest with a tiny 15" woofer, 8" mid and a planar tweeter. Although mine will be a bit smaller, I'll separate the speakers into top and bottom cabinets.

Thanks for posting the pics; it's great to see what I'm shooting for.

I am wanting to do something very similar and was wondering what configuration for the Bass cabinets are you looking at now? Last I saw was that you were going to use faitalpro. But as a bass reflex or onken or something else? Maybe I missed something. If so sorry!

I'm aiming to go FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 15FH500 (because they are £50 cheaper than the 510 each at the moment and still look very good) in a ported 75l cabinet tuned to 45hz that gives me a -3db at 50hz and -9db at 38hz. All info taken from WinISD.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
cheaper than the 510 ...ported 75l cabinet tuned to 45hz ....

the neo 500 ought to give you a small bit more bass output than the ferrite 510, due to the slightly higher Qts, all else being the same, but maybe only theoretical

There's always this type of tractrix to try. It looks a tad simpler....

looks more like a modified Iwata to me
add rounded solid wood at front edge of top and bottom, and you have it ;)
the construction still does have a few weird angles that tend to be difficult
but it looks cool

Attachments

• traxtrix iwata.jpg
    traxtrix iwata.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 347
Thats what WinISD shows too. More depth, slightly less snap I'd guess.

510 has a -3db of 63hz when tuned to 52Hz

I will have some control with the miniDSP as well thou

15PR400 behaves similar to the 500 but the QMS is 6 as opposed to 10 (qes & qts are comparable)

Several of those non circular tractrix type horns show up in a google search for tractrix. Only the two vertical sides follow the tractrix curve

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hmm, some surfaces will always look slightly scruffy, no matter what you do

maybe best the answer is the kind of 'structural paint' used for PA speakers
but probably best use it only on outher surface, and maybe mouth area

but if she is to the 'antique' look, there might some other options like maybe a stained copper look
leaf gold ? maybe you can get 'leaf copper' too

hmm, some surfaces will always look slightly scruffy, no matter what you do

As the 'cells are mdf they should take ok. I kind of like the fill a cell with paint then open the bottom idea. I wonder about spraying them with a primer first?

So long as they look better than plain ole mdf its ok

natural cork is supposed to help with resonance of these non metal 'cell sets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.