And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Know what you mean...really. Take a long walk, a deep breath, a big drink, and give a big hug. Well becwaitin on ya!

Ahh.... that explains you little dancing man avatar. Makes sense. :)

My sympathies ... when one's head plays silly buggers it's one, right pain ... :)

Captain America: 'Doc... I think now is the perfect time for you to get angry'
Bruce Banner/The Hulk: 'That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry'

Tnx guys. Looney Tunes Rage Monster has left the building. Let 'normal' lunacy commence!!

I see paper cuts in my immediate future ;)

Good to see you back JKRO :)

Time to bribe carpenter to make me my horn jig I guess.......

I have found a friendly, local, laser & water CNC equipped engineering firm. Once I get the proof of concept out the way I'll get a perfect template cut.

And as they can cut down to 0.5mm steel/copper/stainless/brass sheet, I might get a price for a genuine one off, all metal, silver soldered or brazed multicell kit :D

Ok, so its not progress in the way I was hoping but I've ordered my miniDSP so at least I'll be able play 'once I get some damn horns built'

I have new tablets without sedation so up all hours and very unfocused again. One of the side effects listed with the med? Sudden death!!! I kid you not. What the hell is the world coming to when a side effect of a med for MANIC DEPRESSION is sudden death?

Next step, clear the table to start work

Last edited:
On a side note. How do I match the volume of the horn with the bass? The horn will be 109dB/W/m and the bass around 98dB/W/m - thats nearly 4 times as loud.

Do I use the master vols inside the miniDSP? Should I reduce the highs alone, or reduce the highs AND raise the bass?

Any wisdom from hi efficiency horn loving lunatics appreciated :D

I was hoping to use my ACA 5w SE Nelson Pass midget wonder to drive the high end and a hifimediy 180wpc for the bass - how does that look?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lower the gain on the horn amp. If it does not have a volume control, install one. I also suggest an L-Pad on the horns. For 8 ohm horn drivers try 4R in series, 8R parallel to the driver. That will bring them down 6dB and may be an easier load for your amp to drive.

Hey Pano - Could that not be done digitally inside the miniDSP? or would lpads still be a good idea

I've ordered the 'dsp volume control and will play between running that full and using the preamp control or using the preamp only or using the 'dsp control only

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You could do it digitally, but why? If you are running an active system you need level adjustments at the amp. And unless you have a very clean, very quiet amp for the horns, you really should be attenuating there, too. Use the digital volume for fine tuning, not gross adjustments. It's all about gain and noise. You can read my article on Gain Structure/Gain Staging right here on diyAudio.com

ok. I was thinking of keeping the 'dsp volume open fully (maybe change to manage gain - nice article btw) and using the preamp volume to be the main system control.

I could then have normal volume controls built into the high & low freq amps. Would L&R Lpads be of more use?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A volume control on the amp inputs is almost a must. You'd have to do some clever planning to avoid it.

I certainly recommend the L-Pad. Unless your horn amp is very low power and very quiet, you'll need it. Horns are very efficient. That means all the hiss, hum, buzz, rizz, etc. that you don't notice on normal speakers will be plenty obvious on the horns. Dropping the horn's level 6-12dB will get the amp's output up out of the dirt. Yes, you'll need more power, but that's rarely a problem in domestic settings.

Will a stereo lpad like Stereo L - Pad LPAD Speaker Volume Control 8 Ohm 400 W | eBay this be ok or are seperate versions better?

Also on the bass amp is an lpad required as most of the attenuation will be bringing the high amp down?

lpads differ from standard pots as far a I can see because "L-pads adjust the relative volume of driver(s)/speaker(s) connected to them by placing added resistance in series. At the same time, a counter-resistance is placed in parallel with the driver(s)/speaker(s) to maintain a constant impedance" - from the product description. Does that make the preferable?

Attenuators and Signal Selecters

For the input on the amps.. (tough to find "good" for much less - and they can be improved upon with better resistors in preferred positions).

For the driver - (accepting a transformer or autoformer), just figure out how much resistance you'll need generally and look to Duelund for that value. (..which should be about 1/4 that of a decent transformer). Partsconnexion has them. Mundorf M-Resist Supreme is another option.

Last edited:
IIRC from my measurements, the TF1020 had good 60° dispersion up to ~1.5kHz. An 8" driver might make it a bit higher, if wide and even dispersion is a goal of this project, but otherwise, TF1020 makes it to ~2.5kHz before its first breakup, so you'd be good for your 200Hz-2kHz range with it.

IG

Would you mind posting your measurements of TF1020 ?

Thanks !

- Elias

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
lpad at speaker level or pot at line level?
Both.

You want volume control on all amp channels. That allows you to run the rest of the system at optimum gain levels. You want an L-Pad on the horn drivers to keep the noise and gain of that amp in the right range.

You don't need the variable type of L-Pad, just 2 resistors will do. See here:
L pad calculator - attenuation dB damping impedance
If your horn section is really 109dB/watt, you'll want to bring that down a good bit for almost all amps to keep the S/N ratio good. For adjusting the level to meet the mids or woofer, use the volume control on the amplifier input.

Do NOT use the L-Pad on the woofer section.

Both.

You want volume control on all amp channels. That allows you to run the rest of the system at optimum gain levels. You want an L-Pad on the horn drivers to keep the noise and gain of that amp in the right range.

Ok so Vol pot on each amp & lpad on the speaker line of the HF amp - which is the NP:cool: ACA in standard form. I visualised having the amps with a clean facia without vol pots, so is there any issue with placing the controls inside or at the rear to keep it tidy? And maybe the lpad at the horn itself - or does that add issues for setup?

Would having both left & right vol pots on the B1 be useful as well?

questions questions questions - tnx Pano Once finished I'll do the voltage test! shouldn't need much!

So the flow is:
pre amp vol x1 or x2
miniDSP vol x1
Bass Amp vol x1
High Amp vol x1 & Stereo Lpad

Thats 5 stages of control!!!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.