And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK guys I'm a bit behind. Had a call from our friends from Arizona and they are over for a visit.

So I am tidying & vacuuming instead of cutting & glueing :rolleyes: Wish they had told me before they left - I'm in love with the ipad mini and the exchange rate is such I could have gotten a discounted one!

Depending on the time they go home tonight I may be able to get some paper cut up.

Last edited:
I always use the fortuitous $/£ ratio to stock up. She works for an airline so they get tickets at random times and take whatever random opportunities are available to visit his family as he's a Sussex local boy.

We call him Forrest Gump - he runs lots and goes for a 10-15 mile trot for the hell of it :eek: He came in 15th in the 2011 Brighton Marathon at 2:45:30, 2nd in the veteren mens group 45-49 (beaten by a pro club runner). He gets sent running shoes by various companies becasue the trails he runs in the desert are ideal for 'extreme testing'! He loves coming home to run in the rain :D

Oh and Cal, dont forget to bring an Apple product........and I don't mean cider :D

Would your 180? multicells fit in the overhead?

Last edited:
Thats hand luggage then!!

I used to take ALL my camera gear in the overhead. One bag designed to fit in the little frame measurement thingy had 2 pro bodies, 5 lenses from 12mm-400mm, a Mamiya 6x7 medium format body, 1 lens, 2 film backs, 1 polaroid back, 2 flashes, a tripod, my 17" macbook pro and an external hard drive.

It was a struggle to stand up straight and look like it was light :D

Thats hand luggage then!!

I used to take ALL my camera gear in the overhead. One bag designed to fit in the little frame measurement thingy had 2 pro bodies, 5 lenses from 12mm-400mm, a Mamiya 6x7 medium format body, 1 lens, 2 film backs, 1 polaroid back, 2 flashes, a tripod, my 17" macbook pro and an external hard drive.

It was a struggle to stand up straight and look like it was light :D

Haha!
I did the same thing on the way back from visiting my sister in Australia.
The hand luggage did actually weigh more than the bags I put in the cargo hold.
was a bit of a struggle to stand straight and trying to look like it was really light.

When I visit my mother in Berlin I put my stuff in a huge bag that doesn't weigh anything but due to its size it goes on the plane last and comes out first on a separate carousel. I usually leave the airport when the other passengers are still waiting for their luggage to come through!

Last edited:
Ok this is proving harder than expected.

I'm cutting matte board first and getting accurate marks for cutting is going to have to be done on a rounded up by mm basis. In order to get a close to uniform as I can I'll make one guide from matte board and then use that as a template to cut cartridge paper. If this works I think I'll see about getting a metal/plastic template laser/cnc cut (for accuracy) with my final horn design

This is what I'm using for the test

rounded from centre distances (mm)

Fired up cad, loaded the curve in and scaled it really close:
Length seems correct, mouth opening seems slightly too small - maybe 2.5mm shy.
Mirrored the image - without spending lots of time to draw properly, the two images can be printed onto 3 tiled portrait A4, adjust tile overlap to .125 (3.2mm - 1/8th inch).

Get bit of hardboard, draw centre line, draw 20mm line at 90degrees one end, mouth opening 165mm at the other bisecting center line.
Use 20mm line as throat reference and rotate print till mouth sits at 165 - or half these values, give one is working with half image.
If it don't look right, let me know in which way and I can re-scale slightly for you.

Attachments

• jkro-horn.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 157
I've been snowed under with work - maybe this week I'll manage to make a start on a cell, got lots of scrap 80 and 100gsm A2 paper, just need to make template and a form.
I did manage to speak to my foam cutting expert buddy, he said that the idea of cutting walls from blue foam with 3 layers of paper would be a good idea, but tooling up for consistent results would be a pain in the rear for just 1 pair 10 cell of arrays.......
Idea not counted out just yet though :)

Sorry for the lack of movement guys - the normal schedule will resume shortly.

Been going barmy - bipolar manic phase got a bit out of hand. Best i can describe my concentration, ability & efforts is like trying to compete in the Olympic 50m Rifle with blunderbuss. The results can be awe inspiring, spectacular even, target is never hit and theres a lot of clearing up afterwards...........my poor wife

On the other hand I'm taking enough pills to sedate an elephant :hypno1: and they seem to be working

I'll be back............................next week

Not that I am going to produce one of these large multicell horns but has anyone considered either aluminum tig welded to create the cells or even a simple pattern and fiberglass construction?
Aluminum could be cnc cut and easily tack welded together. Fiberglass and vinyl ester resin are available at many boat builder supply houses and this would make a very rigid construction.

Something really big

This is still on my to do list. I just haven't had the time but I will get around to it. I planned to use birch or some similar veneer and layer it to form a plywood like structure. I was thinking of just using carpenter's glue. What I'm thinking now is to use fiber glass resin and try and mimic Panzerholz plywood. I learned about this when searching for Plinth materials for my old Rega Planar 3. I stumbled across it on a Lenco turntable website. It is supposed to be very non resonant. There is an alternative which may fall in line with the previous post. Aluminum sheet with wood veneer sndwiched between is also supposed to be excellent as well. What a hobby. I started out making an ultrasonic record cleaning machine as per the thread in Analog Source. It was so successful that it led me to search out upgrades for my Rega. At the same time'I have been following the Beyond the Arial thread and that led me to Pano's 1005's and this thread. The turntable searches have led me to the 2 possible materials to consider and that means I'll have to build one of each. It just goes on and on. I don't think I'll ever get bored with this hobby but sometimes I think my head may explode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.