And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
something really big

I am going to use wood veneer built up in layers to create a plywood like structure. The material in the mouth and throat will be the more expensive veneer and subsequent layers cheaper. I will purchase sheets of veneer from Tape Ease. To shape, I'll just make a thick template and cut the stacked veneer blanks with a flush cut router bit. By stepping the veneer at the throat and mouth the thickness can be kept very thin. I am sure that if fiberglass resin is used as the glue between layers it will be strong. I'm still trying to find out more about the 1505 profile before starting.

I was thinking carbon fibre as a stiffener perhaps? Actually I was thinking of a complete multicell made of it.........mmmmmmmm shiny

Perhaps not ;)

I guess Hahnemuhle rag or some such photo paper could work as the interior of the cell.

Paper questions:

Would newspaper be adequate as a build up medium?
Thick paper in few layers or thin paper in many layers?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IIRC, what I used as the paper base was Arches Cold Press Water Color paper, 300 lb. Thick and very stiff. Here it retails for about $2.50 a square foot. Not cheap. But I think you could go with a simple cardstock of similar weight for much less money. And cardstock comes in many colors, so the inside of the cells could be gray, black, white, blue or pink!

The Altec cells are exponential, I believe, so look into that profile.

How about carbon and paper?
One should be able to find carbon tissue, looks like glass fibre finish tish' but its black!
Wall paper paste might work as a bonding agent, watery PVA definetly works.... I know this cos I've been moulding bits for model aircraft for the last 30 yrs (I make surfboards and auto-sport pieces now-a-days).
One can also laminate the tish' to 'Wall Lining Foam', use balsa wood strips on the throat and mouth edge, soak the balsa in 'superglue' to make it really hard, use 320grit wet/dry to feather the edges......

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
maybe

Attachments

• IMG_6106.JPG
    IMG_6106.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_6107.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_6109.JPG
    IMG_6109.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_6108.JPG
    IMG_6108.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 261
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, hadn't thought of that. It could be built up from wood thats shaped to fit.

Hmmm... I have another idea. I could make a few casts of the inside of the throat and send it to whoever wants. From positive that mold you could build up whatever you want around it.

For a longer manifold I would use a technique similar to the attached pic.
BUT instead of making the round from polystyrene, I would use a mandrel the size of the throat and slip rings over this, rings would be from ultra high density Pu modelling foam.
Does the spread sheet mentioned/attached to an earlier thread plot the manifold? being able to 'see' the shape is a great aid to making.
I know one thing, it's far easier to actually make it than describe it in words - I might have a go at making one just to see how it goes.

Attachments

• THorn_06.jpg
    THorn_06.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 248
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.