And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alternatively you could buy some Tannoy DCs off ebay.
They'll work in any room big enough to fit them in which, I suppose, would be equally true for other co-axials.
Currently there are a few 12" 3142 drivers on offer and one guy is selling 4 Pumas (15" DCs!) for £800, no bids and one day to go!
You could sell one pair and use the proceeds to build something like these:
tannoy or even use 18" instead of the extra 15" woofer.

I got the gist that JRKO is after an 'in your face sound' but the apparent sound source with Tannoys is about 30cm behind the voice coil so you'd gain a bit of virtual space.

Either way I never had that problem with my own Tannoys, they make excellent near-field speakers and that is my preferred way of listening.

Alternatively you could buy some Tannoy DCs off ebay.

I've been down the Tannoy DC route. 10" Eaton & 15" Berkeley. Fun while it lasted

I got the gist that JRKO is after an 'in your face sound'

Not really in your face. Describing sound is tricky. I want to be able to play at realistic levels should I wish, but will be lower much of the time. I want a double bass to sound like a double bass, a violin like a violin and Alison Krauss to sound like........well you get it. Pared down music to sound open an haunting and live recordings to sound live. I know a great deal of this is down to the recording but if its there, I want to hear all this at ANY volume level. I guess glossy hifi mags would call it 'resolving'?

Leaving power to rock aside can a 2-way not reproduce accurately? I know the one pictured below is way over what I can build but surely that cant reproduce violin etc?

I didn't get what you meant by "I really think you need just a little more low end"

thanks for sticking with me on this.

I'm still interested in your idea to buy a horn & CD and go from there

Attachments

• 2 way.jpg
    2 way.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 450
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I didn't get what you meant by "I really think you need just a little more low end"

I meant to say not to be happy with 50hz, but aim a bit 'lower', like say 30-35hz
rolloff means phase shift

So is it the midrange, 100hz - 1000hz that is the key to perfect reproduction?

no, not that simple
simplificated, the 'key' is crossover phase
or more accurately, the result of what it does

It appears to me the that the 15hf510 can easily handle 50-740/1000 and can blend well with either midrange or horn. You may not get super low, but that leaves option for sub if needed. Considering your room, it may be unecessary and room gain will be more than adequate. Althought other parameters are different, it has a similar response as the Altec 416, lacking the bottom end of course.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'm still interested in your idea to buy a horn & CD and go from there

very important to find a combination with smooth fit

It appears to me the that the 15hf510 can easily handle 50-740/1000 and can blend well with either midrange or horn.

or try Fane 15-400LF in closed, it only needs to be very big :eek:

but thats the topic, so....:D

1.6khz on up - Radian 475PB + SEOS-12
300hz - 2khz - 2X BG Neo 10 / horizontally mounted and stacked vertically
100hz - 600hz -2X B&C 12TBX100 / Cardioid
+
15hz - 120hz - 4X Mach V LLE-18

...That's what I wanna do as my next project. Well maybe a SEOS-RAAL with 140-15D and a AE TD12X.

Who wants to fund it???

Last edited:
Cant this be achieved with born and bass/mid driver like the 18FH510?

Maybee, but i would go for 15 or 12", x-over quite a bit higher and stay 2-way.
The QW-1 has been built all over the globe and i´ve never heard any one not satisfied, although many builders have chose to x-over a lot lower than i would.

There´s many good 15" drivers around that will do just what i think You want, even more 12" which i think is the best size for a voicereproducing driver, the choice of HF driver/horn is gigantic but there´sa few new contestants that, imo, beat all competition and also are decently priced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.