And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's an bastardized Altec "the carmel" with a pair of 414z in an open back configuration. The horn is from Jeffery Jackson's "elevenhorns" with a TAD 2001. The horn and driver are on loan from a friend, the TADs are beyond my reach. My room is pretty small, like 12'x14', and these are about 1/3 of the way into the room. They definitely move a lot of air, even open.

Currently, I'm running them first order at 800Hz but it's not the best crossover by any means. I'm waiting for minidsp to finally get my plugin code, but it's like pulling teeth. When that happens I'll biamp and play around trying to figure out where and how I best like them crossed.

ok - ive tried with a FP driver and an PD driver and I cant get any sensible. Tiny boxes being projected - 80l or so not including vents. I dont get it. I'm not even sure that I can enter the Sd values correctly.

Anyone out there with a non Altec Onken? Or does anyone have a couple of brain cells I can borrow? I have the feeling I'm being a bit thick :headbash:

Would a simple sealed or vented arrangement be suitable instead, without loosing the magic?

tell me about it!! 20% of the cost of the item AND the postage = :mad:

I'm gonna plug some numbers from a few of the proposed drivers into the onken calc to see if I can get lucky on the vents

I've mail ordered some t-shirts from the US once. They charged me 17% import duty and 20% VAT on top of that!

Never had much luck with Onken calculators.
Tried it with my Tannoys and my Volt woofers, the result was tiny cabs with vents over a meter long.
Never quite figured out what makes a driver suitable for Onkens.
The Volts are in transmission lines now and I couldn't be happier!
They are fairly big though but that should not be a problem for you.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Glad I'm not the only one.

The altecs seem to have a low Fs (26hz ish) and MASSIVE Vas of 26cuft or 736l :eek::eek: Makes them a rather tough act to follow.

options options options

your main problem may be that low Qts will never be low budget

try calculate Onken with PD.158 or PD.122

and you need to fiddle with port area and length to make it match your box front

I dont think ports should be less than 1" wide
and also adjust with the 'deviders' also working as side panel bracing

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Onken is a bass reflex. You don't have to take the box size for BR that a calculator gives you, it's just trying to find the flattest response. EBS (Extended Bass Shelf) is another way to align the cab. If you can run Unibox (in Excel) have a look at that.

Yes, the old driver have huge Vas, and that's part of what makes them work in the big Onken/Ultraflex box.

But let's back up a little. What are your real goals? Are you looking for super clean bass that can be run off an SET amp, or do you just want big bass fun? Lots of driver surface area, like 1 or 2 18s per side will get you big bass fun and stay real clean at the power levels used in a home. Once you start to get a lot of surface area, the bass gets clean and big. You might need to EQ it some if the box is too small, but you'll have so much headroom that isn't a big deal.

But let's back up a little. What are your real goals? Are you looking for super clean bass that can be run off an SET amp, or do you just want big bass fun?

I want super fast ,clean & accurate bass with no overhang. I'm not into bloated booming playing with your guts bass. To me thats just for the hell of it and not 'music'. Certainly not the music I listen to.

I'm a fan of large headroom. All seems fine and then when you turn it up just a bit too much it grabs you by the throat, shakes you around and spits you out.

The overall sound I want is that sumptuous effortless you get when operating comfortably within spec and with an iron grip by the amp. Like the acceleration in a big car that gently pushes you back into the soft leather seat as it approaches warp speed compared to a small car that is all whizzy and you have to wring the nuts off it.

I think high efficiency is one part of 'my sound'. I'd prefer speed and attack over ultimate depth if I have to choose.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In my experience you can get that with lot's of surface area using cone drivers. Mostly I've done that with Open Baffle, but you don't have the floor space for that, right?

Certainly there are folks here who have done massive cone surface in a box and can advise you. Stig Eric comes quickly to mind. One you get to the surface area of a pair of 18s, or better yet a quad of 18s, bass firms right up and gets massive and clean. Even cheap 18s will do it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Will an 18 get high enough to cross with a horn?
Most will not - unless it's a huge horn - some will. That's what I liked about the P.Audio Blue Monster (BM) woofers. Now that they have changed all bets are off. There should be a good stock of the old ones on the shelves, yet.

Someone here is likely to know a good 18 that can cross high. If not, an 8 or 10 inch midrange can work well.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
and interestingly, it might work with Onken ports

optimal BR is somewhere around 275 liter, and port length is almost zero
means you can raise port area quite a lot, and still keep the length reasonable

I tried to increase box to 350 liter
and calculate a 500cm2 port area
gives perfect port length of 25cm
fine tune a bit for more smooth rolloff
and voila, a new Onken is born (-3db/30hz)

man, now Im tempted myself:eek:
one problem though
this big Onken box size is only suited for 2way
simply too high for a 3way
nah, I dont think it will work :eek:
but wide and low BR with big slot ports would still work :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.