And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
that could be a different approach, spend all the money on a waveguide :D
mount it up with a cheap Faital CD, and a 12" Fane 12-300
and just fool around with that for a while

who knows, it might turn out so good that you will never be able to beat it, no matter what

How about
AutoTech Iwata-600 - AutoTech Horns - Horns DIY Sound Group
AutoTech E-JMLC-600 - AutoTech Waveguides - Waveguides DIY Sound Group
AutoTech Bi-Radial - AutoTech Horns - Horns DIY Sound Group or even
15 Cell Multicell Horns for JBL,Beyma,Altec, | eBay

Although the original project was a 3 or 4-way thing, a 2-way can sound plenty big with a good set of drivers. You can splurge more on a 4 drivers total than 6 or 8. TD15M + BMS 4550 on the QSC waveguide in 5.0 cubic foot cabs, mini-DSP Xover, does it for me, just sayin'... :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know TD15M might be a bit much with shipping for you, but I'm sure you can find some great 15" or even 12" that'll do just fine.

IG

The AutoTech horns are very good from owner reports and the raw measurements I've seen. A great choice.

I've searched but cant find solid usage reports or measurements - can you point some out?

The multi-cell look wonderful, wonder what the final price will be?

completed listings doesnt show any sales but his feedback shows several pairs to happy customers!!! He also makes an 8 cell version which last sold for £180 - 8 Cell Multicell Horns for JBL,Beyma,Altec, | eBay - less visual impact but still pretty and I bet they sound great!

Last edited:
It's a toss up for me. I've heard the Iwata profile and thought it excellent. I know that Jean Michel started there and pushed ahead. In theory the JMMLC sound be better. But I've not heard one yet.

I know its nothing to do with the function but the Iwata looks SO much prettier that the JMMLC. The JMMLC looks like a baby birds beak

Attachments

• newborn birds.jpg
    newborn birds.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 484
Although the original project was a 3 or 4-way thing, a 2-way can sound plenty big with a good set of drivers. You can splurge more on a 4 drivers total than 6 or 8. TD15M + BMS 4550 on the QSC waveguide in 5.0 cubic foot cabs, mini-DSP Xover, does it for me, just sayin'... :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know TD15M might be a bit much with shipping for you, but I'm sure you can find some great 15" or even 12" that'll do just fine.

IG

This is the conclusion my thoughts & readings have lead to. £800 / 4 = more :D The other plus is I can get the minidsp instead of the 2x8 saving $200 (but losing 24/96 to 24/48) and spend more on amps.

Nice setup btw IG!

I still think a decent 3way is doable within budget.

I have no issues with large midrange drivers as I use Tannoy DCs myself but the midrange got a lot cleaner since I removed the bass from the my 12", especially at higher volumes.

Something like FaitalPro 15FH500, Beyma 8G40, BMS 4538 + RCF HF101 would come in at around £300 per speaker incl. VAT but excl. p+p.

PS: Since you said you'd move them out regularly I would add something like these to the boxes. Makes life a lot easier!
Large Metal Recessed Bar Handle to fit Marshall, Orange, Hiwatt Speaker Cabs on eBay!

Also somewhere earlier I said that the RCF horns are plastic but they are cast aluminium. Don't know where I got the plastic idea from, clearly a brainfart on my side.

Last edited:
If the speaker actually measures as posted, the 15HF500 looks outstanding on paper. You could cross directly yo a horn with it. I am actually reaaly close to pulling the trigger. 416B is in my future, but $700 without delvery is tough when i am not sure if i like the sound yet. Time to sell some drivers. You could argue that this looks even better, assuming possible sub addtition. MAy not be needed with room gain.

http://www.usspeaker.com/faital pro 12fh500-1.htm

Last edited:
If you really need subs with them would depend somewhat on the music you're listening to. If it is mainly standard band stuff (ie neither electronic nor classical) it should suffice by itself as the lowest tone a band produces tends to be the open E string on an electric bass guitar which is 42Hz. Kick drums start about an octave higher than that.

If the speaker actually measures as posted, the 15HF500 looks outstanding on paper.

During the years i´ve used Faital nothing has failed to live up to specs and measurements. I´ve not used 15FH500 that much but its smaller sibling 12Fh500 and i think theyre fantastic drivers, primarily, they allways sound good.

I would, thou, recomend a look at the 15FH510, the new ferit motor version.
Faital has´nt just stuck a ferit magnet in place of the neodym. Its a serious rework of the drivers and so far all the new ferit versions from Faital, in my ear, sound even better than the neodym models, they´re also quite a bit cheaper.

They have even better linearity and the same transientresponse but have a "darker" voice, not with loss of resolution or edge but just sounding larger or maybee fuller.

Not of great importance in domestic use but as i deliver all my speakers carying a 10year waranty, i´ve still not replaced or repaired any Faital driver.

That gels very well with every comment on Faital drivers I've come across on the interwebs but it is good to find a more direct opinion, especially since Ingvar seems to have used quite a few by now.

I found one single opinion where one guy preferred Eminence 3015lf to a 15" Faital but that was a bass player and the Eminence seems to have a response peak just where it is handy to have one on a bass cab with no tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.