And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some rough maths based on drivers specced so far gives £3-400 for the bass, £1-200 for the mids and that leaves £2-400 for the HF.

I'm not sure that even I could do it for 800 quid, mean as I am. That's tight for this sort of project. Will need to think a bit.

Do you think the driver spending above is unreasonable? I can get the PD 18" or 15" for £150-200 each. The Fane 10-300 is £60 each so I'd have roughly £280 for highs - no good?

JRKO,
I have been lurkiing and watching. Dont know what you can get on your side of the pond, but two drivers that look good to me are Eminance Omega Pro 15A and Selenium 15SW600. I like the Selenium for cheaper price and smaller Vas. Just food for thought as you may not be able to get them. Has very good polar response as well. can go quite high, possibly relieving need for Midbass.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Omega_Pro_15A.pdf

http://www.jblselenium.com/marcas/upload/93a50f319066868b48b1fc8e053a79d2.pdf

Last edited:
Assuming you are going with the mids and woofers you mentioned I'd probably go with BMS 4538 (Thomann £54ea.) on a Beyma TD164 (LMC or Blue Aran £36ea.) crossed at 1.9kHz.

Or a 4548 (Thomann £75ea.) on a Beyma TD194 (same as above) or RCF HF100 or 101 crossed at around 1.4k.

The Beymas are cast alloy but only load to 1.2k, the RCFs are plastic but load to 800 and 1000Hz respectively. Either way I'd use 24dB L-R slopes on the xover.

I don't think there is any need to add a supertweeter and make it a 4way with any of these.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks like a plan. PD 15 at the bottom, Faital CD at the top. Horn TBD. That could work well.
I had been looking at the PDN.15SB40 Neodymium 15", but the ferrite has a lower FS and might work well. The Neo looks a little better up top, but without seeing distortion, who knows?

Looks like a plan. PD 15 at the bottom, Faital CD at the top. Horn TBD. That could work well.
I had been looking at the PDN.15SB40 Neodymium 15", but the ferrite has a lower FS and might work well. The Neo looks a little better up top, but without seeing distortion, who knows?
PD 15"s at work in Adam Audios big monitor. I guess one could do worse. Personally I really like my PDN15BR40s, but I'm not sure PD delivers neo-models any longer(?)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Suppose the end result could look something like this:
M1 Speaker

Just without the $100 000 price tag. ;-)

In fact the horn looks a bit like a Beyma TD235 ground flush along the edges.
At least my suggestion would be a 3-way system where the woofer and mid crossed somewhere in the middle of eachs floorbounce-freq. (3-400Hz). For modest level listening I'd like to try something like Seas MCA15RCY + the DXT together with a good sounding 15" pro-woofer.

More money and more SPL: PHL mid/woofer and perhaps 18Sounds XT1086 horn with tbd CD.

Last edited:
Budgets are ment to be blown, aren't they? ;) Yes, first lesson in the tour de audio would be someting like: If budget is final - buy hedaphones.

Secondly: One of the owners of M1 is the russian president Medvedev. I guess he don't have time to DIY. :D
(Roomsize is probably OK too...)

medvedev.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.