And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But it IS! :D

JBL 4355 speakers restored by Kenrick Sound has been delivered to Mr. Abe's room - YouTube

Ok.. not really, but it's not exactly large either. :p

..I don't know Japanese (at all), but I suspect the movers (just before unwrapping the 1st one) were saying something along the lines of:

"you want us to put this where?"

Me too like to watch Japanese sound installements on youtube lol :D
They share many similarities with us, like tiny rooms and taste for wierd loudspeakers :D

True, it is not cheap, but worth every penny IMHO. Personally I think it is worth saving up for. What is the use you spend less money for far inferior results. Sometimes you gotta have patience and save up for the really good stuff. :)

If I only :$:aved up for the best I'd never get to build anything :D

Besides the £850 it would cost to get a pair of TPL150H is in the ball park of the total cost for this project!!

Hi Stig

Yes, it is definitely one that caught my eye. I can't say I'm saving up for it, though, because my listening space is such that I won't be able to move the required minimum listening distance of 2m away. :( If I could, I'd start saving now already. :) I would however make one change for my own system, and that is to change the Beyma bass drivers out for Altec GPA 414 or 416 16-ohm alnico units. The box might need to be enlargened for these, but hey. :) I just think the Altec alnicos just have a magic all their own.

Enjoy,
Deon

Recommendations so far:

10inch Celestion TF1020
10inch Fane 10-300 http://www.faneinternational.com/downloads/FANE_Sovereign_10300_Specs.pdf
10inch Seas A26RE4 Europe Audio

8inch Eminence Beta 8 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_8A.pdf

6inch Eminence Alpha 6 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Alpha_6C.pdf

Important questions for this enquiring mind:

What are the benefits/concerns of 10, 8 & 6 inch drivers?

As I've only had experience with FR drivers, what are the requirements for driver integration?

Your indulgence is greatly appreciated

Recommendations so far:

10inch Celestion TF1020
10inch Fane 10-300 http://www.faneinternational.com/downloads/FANE_Sovereign_10300_Specs.pdf
10inch Seas A26RE4 Europe Audio

8inch Eminence Beta 8 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_8A.pdf

6inch Eminence Alpha 6 http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Alpha_6C.pdf

Important questions for this enquiring mind:

What are the benefits/concerns of 10, 8 & 6 inch drivers?

As I've only had experience with FR drivers, what are the requirements for driver integration?

Your indulgence is greatly appreciated

JRKO, are you really thinking about building this monster or it mostly is an exercise?

That Fane driver looks quite good and is overall close to the Celestion in their parameters. It has a bit more magnet, but a slightly heavier cone. Price looks ballpark for both units as well.

The SEAS unit is more of a sealed box woofer judging form the low Fs and its sensitivity might be a bit low for such an application IMO.

FWIW, I'm currently using the Celestion TF1020 in some small MLTL's along with the Dayton 10" round WG witih D220Ti and it's a nice match sonically, for dispersion and visually to boot! This WG or another type with constant directivity might be good here and the "modern" thing to do. If really going for a 4-way setup with each channel doing ~ a decade, the midrange might be good for 150Hz to 1.5kHz, where the CD-WG will follow up to 15kHz and a nice super tweeter would do the rest up to 20kHz or wherever it ends. I would highly suggest an active crossover in this case.

A 10 liters sealed box puts the TF1020's f3~150Hz and Qtc~0.7 and I assume it would not be far off for the Fane. A 2nd order high-pass around there would allow for 128W before exceding Xmax for an SPL of ~117dB.

I'm not too sure what to recommend for a big bass driver, as I don't have much experience outside of the TD15M that I recently got, which might be a bit expensive for this here project, though very well worth their price.

IG

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Alpha 6 is "OK", but not the driver that the Beta 8 is. Choose the Beta 8 over its smaller brother.

I would suggest you go damped open back for the mid. You could use a small sealed box, but the heavily damped open back sounds better to my ear.

The nice thing about using an 8" cone for the mid is that there are so many. You could midrange driver roll to your heart's content. New, old, cheap, expensive, plain, fancy - there is plenty of room to play.

JRKO, are you really thinking about building this monster or it mostly is an exercise?

This is an love affair that produced a dream. That dream is motivating this exercise. This exercise will lead to a pair of monsters in my living room :D

I've built LARGE before btw (see below for 3cuft for 12lta & 7.5cuft for Beta15) . Larger in fact that this project will be!

That Fane driver looks quite good and is overall close to the Celestion in their parameters. It has a bit more magnet, but a slightly heavier cone. Price looks ballpark for both units as well.

The SEAS unit is more of a sealed box woofer judging form the low Fs and its sensitivity might be a bit low for such an application IMO.

FWIW, I'm currently using the Celestion TF1020 in some small MLTL's along with the Dayton 10" round WG witih D220Ti and it's a nice match sonically, for dispersion and visually to boot! This WG or another type with constant directivity might be good here and the "modern" thing to do. If really going for a 4-way setup with each channel doing ~ a decade, the midrange might be good for 150Hz to 1.5kHz, where the CD-WG will follow up to 15kHz and a nice super tweeter would do the rest up to 20kHz or wherever it ends. I would highly suggest an active crossover in this case.

A 10 liters sealed box puts the TF1020's f3~150Hz and Qtc~0.7 and I assume it would not be far off for the Fane. A 2nd order high-pass around there would allow for 128W before exceding Xmax for an SPL of ~117dB. IG

The Celestion certainly looks the smoother of the two over the 200-2khz range it would be used for.

I like the idea of the Selenium driver. Really good value, even here in the U.K.

Can anyone explain the virtues of picking a smaller mid driver than a 10 incher. I can't seem to understand the issues involved

Attachments

• big speaker.jpg
    big speaker.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Can anyone explain the virtues of picking a smaller mid driver than a 10 incher. I can't seem to understand the issues involved

The larger driver will start to beam lower. (Pano beat me to it :) ) IIRC from my measurements, the TF1020 had good 60° dispersion up to ~1.5kHz. An 8" driver might make it a bit higher, if wide and even dispersion is a goal of this project, but otherwise, TF1020 makes it to ~2.5kHz before its first breakup, so you'd be good for your 200Hz-2kHz range with it.

IG

ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur ;), with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?

ok - 'beaming' - is that where the driver, at a certain freq. and above, becomes more & more directional thus narrowing the 'sweetspot'?

Cal the Connoseur ;), with cone break-up you've thrown another hat into the ring. To my sadly lacking mental faculty, I would have though that means the cone distorting at lower freq.?

Yes, beaming is the reduction in dispersion angle as the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone diameter. It's a bit the same principle for breakup AFAIK, in the sense that when the wavelenghts get smaller than the cone radius, the cone is not moving in unison, aka pistonic movement. This will happen with all drivers, it's just that some will do it more gracefully and barely exhibit a thing on their response, while others will get large peaks and dips.

IG

Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ispersion-normal-living-room-environment.html

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air

Aha - so where the TF1020 freq response get ragged just over 2khz this is breakup as the cone is used to produce freq. smaller than its diameter and thus outside its ideal 'zone'?

Breakup and beaming are separate issues but are both results of the freq. wavelength being smaller than the cones diameter and thus ending pure pistonic motion

So as long as the driver is used within the smoothest part of the freq. response graph it should be fine.

Is there a list somewhere of wavelength 'sizes'? What specs will show the drivers dispersion? I'm slowly making my way thru http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ispersion-normal-living-room-environment.html

The 8 inch driver seems like a good idea being smaller and in the Alpha8 really clean but the TF1020 looks like it can handle 2khz just fine and would push more air

At least this is how I understand it to work - there are folks way more knowledgeable than me who are welcome to correct any idiocies that I may spit out! :smash:

wavelenght = speed of sound divided by frequency. For c=343m/s and 1kHz, 343/1000=34.3cm, for example.

I bought my TF1020 based on the low sale price at the time and this guy's (stevie) comment on it, no direct test results, so has to be taken FWIW:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/celestion-truvox-tf1020-for-mid_topic31342_post354373.html#354373

IG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.