And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ehh...no, too heavy
then you need one of the lighter coned semi pros
though my advice was to stay away from those, they might be the ones for small amps
usually smaller amps are more 'polite', and not for playing that loud either, so it might still work ok

Thanks tinitus. Would 8w work at home levels? its 98dB/W/m, 0.28 Qts & BL of 26.6 which is huge !!!!!!

What would you say the advantage to an 18 over a 15 other than pure size?

I'll dig up the Onken specs when I get home, if you don't find them first. Search for 360 L Onken. I like the big Onken with the Altec 416 very much.

is this them?Untitled Document

Are other drivers suitable?

maybe thats what he expects :D

Some 'vintage' speaker designs I've heard were, um, sloppy. Don't know if this is poor execution but it was sort of vague and wandering. Like talking to a batty old Aunt - harmless enough but not very exciting ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oui, c'est cela, meme. (Yes, that's the very one)
Are other drivers suitable?
Not too much, no. :( But the enclosure can be adapted to other drivers. The "Petit" uses the Altec 414, IIRC.

Some 'vintage' speaker designs I've heard were, um, sloppy.
Not this one, not at all. Rather the opposite. Most of us are not used to a speaker with out overhang, resonances, slop, doubling. It can sound too clean for some tastes. Not the "clean bass" that comes from no fundamental/all harmonics, but clean from not having slop.

You'll find lots of photos on the interweb, take a look to see if you like its style or not. I think it's an impressive looking, as well as sounding cabinet.

Oh, I just remembered! Kevin, one of the mods, has a set of Onkens he dearly loves. I don't recall what driver he uses. We should ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FWIW, I've also head the P.Audio 18" coax (no longer made) in a big BR box. It was prodigious, to say the least. :D The woofer is still made, sans the horn in the middle. It's an 18" driver than can actually be crossed up at 500Hz.

An 18" moves a lot of air and you can both feel and hear it. It does make a difference.

An 18" moves a lot of air and you can both feel and hear it. It does make a difference.

Can it also do the delicacy of low level home listening or is it all or nothing with an 18? I've created merry hell with 15's before and I know they work well in larger rooms. Would an 18 be bonkers?

Pano you mentioned the Blue Monster P-audio range. Is this one? P-Audio 15BM-500B 15" 500W Low Frequency Speaker Driver from P-Audio 121.03 IN STOCK (26 Sep 2012) I can only find drivers with BM in the product code. No mention of 'blue monster' thou

Altec 416's from GPA are an overshoot on spending £344.90 for a pair before shipping and they weigh 27lb packed - EACH!!!! then import taxes! In the Onken how high can they go?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmmm.... looks like P.Audio have changed the BM woofer line recently. They used to look just like the coax, without the compression driver on the back. Don't know how close the new is to the old.

Yes, some of these pro 18s can play very well at low levels. They are clean and low distortion drivers. They don't have to be brutes all the time.

The Onken with the 416-A was generally crossed circa 700 Hz. The 416 is one of the rare 15 inch woofers sounds good up to about 2 KHz.

Dont give in!!!

Whats the practical difference between the 15MI100 I mentioned earlier and the 15P80Fe?

15MI100-------------------------------15P80Fe
72g-----------------mms--------------98g
24mm-------------xmax--------------26mm
48hz----------------fs-----------------41hz
0.28---------------Qts-----------------0.24
21.6---------------BL------------------22.9
101-----------dB/2.83v/m------------100.6

Heavier cone (+29g) means lower fs but Qts is lower meaning a comparably stronger magnet and high Spl despite heavier cone.

All told is the lower Fs the winning card?

18Sound 15ND930, 10NMB420, ND1030, SEOS12 or 15. All made in the EU.

Nice selection! There's not that much on 18Sound drivers on here. How are they regarded?

Also the use of neodymium magnets - they are the strongest permanent magnets and so a small magnet is used. Other than weight & size is there any other reason to pay more?

Well, it does help if you actually mention that

Post 17 ........£45.24..............£222.18...........but £444 for 2 woofers is.............

:D :D :D tnx Brett

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.