And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, HF144's are as good as ordered :cloud9: thanks to cheque from a small car crash - every cloud has a silver (toyata) lining :D

A few questions about crossovers and how to fit them to my system etc

1) If I feed the minidsp from a preamp for it to do the whole ADC/DSP/DAC thing, does a quality preamp like the B1 add anything?

2) How good is the minidsp at the ADC bit? I know I need it for my tuner, tape & vinyl to get played. Would an SRC2496 feeding a nanodigi with a 24/96 signal be a better combination? As a plus I get to pick my own DACs

Yeah, with the nanodigi 2x8 you have to run 2 dacs for 2-way, 3 dacs for 3-way and 4 dacs for 4way. But I do get to choose what does my A/D conversion.

A passive crossover or PLLXO means I don't have to worry about digitising the analogue side of my system. However I'm not that interested in crossovers, just the outcome, so I doubt I'll be learning how to build a PLLXO or even a topflight passive for some time :bfold: lazy? who, me?

Would the volume control in a B1 be enough feeding the minidsp?

Ok I just found out the ADC is ok but the volume control onboard the minidsp is lossy :censored: :headshot: :censored: Whats the point in digitising a signal and then offering only part of it back unless you play at full volume?????? Who wants most of their music signal??? I might not fully understand the whole bit depth sample rate malarky but less is less. I listen at lower levels, so most of the time I'll be getting less info than a standard 16bit CD thru a standard system :rolleyes: With a compression driver and high effeciancy 15" driver circa 96dB\W\m I cant very well play full blast. I know I can try it an see how it sounds but I'll always know there is more info in there I'm not being allowed to listen to.

If the B1 pre volume control is the best solution this means I'll need a volume control after the minidsp - for 4 channels

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I might not fully understand the whole bit depth sample rate malarky but less is less. I listen at lower levels, so most of the time I'll be getting less info than a standard 16bit CD thru a standard system
Not all digital volume controls are created equal. If you are running at 24 bits or higher, it really does no harm. There are software players that do volume control in floating 32 or 64 bit, then bring the stream out in 32, 24 or 16 bit as you choose. I've done listening tests and measurements galore, and can't find that it does anything but lower the S/N ratio. Analog volume controls do that too, in a different way.

If you are afraid of losing bits, then you really shouldn't use a digital crossover/EQ. How do you think they generate the crossover slopes and EQs?

You do want to get your gain structure right before you start doing volume control. Usually your power amps will have far more gain than you need.

I have never found that digital volume controls, properly integrated into the overall gain structure, ever degrade the sound. On the other hand, analogue volume controls are something I have deep suspicion of, once you become sensitive to the signature distortion of the conventional setup then you steer well clear of them ...

Frank

If you are afraid of losing bits, then you really shouldn't use a digital crossover/EQ. How do you think they generate the crossover slopes and EQs?
You do want to get your gain structure right before you start doing volume control. Usually your power amps will have far more gain than you need.
If the remaining signal, whatever its sample rate and bit depth is then top skimmed again (and variably at that) couldn't you in theory end up with an 8bit/48khz signal being amplified?

Ah, who knows. I've got to deal with it at the moment as I have a snowballs chance in hell of sorting a passive filter, especially as I'll be using the CD's with the Emken before I get the midbass drivers in. Of the two options which is better? B1 fed - volume - minidsp - amps, or Signals - minidsp - volume - amps? I guess I can try both with a B1 volume control at max and use the minidsp vol or minidsp at max use the B1 control.

I found your gain structure article Pano - good read. I saw it come up in the active vs passive thread (which I think comes down to ease of design/construction/use) as well as a potential pitfall

Now I have to read about the B1 options!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.