:: Mad Men :: - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default :: Mad Men ::

This would be quite a bold project, but I wonder if any of you horn lovers have considered designing your whole darn house around your horns?

Click the image to open in full size.

The idea occurred to me because of a few reasons:

#1 - I am 41 years old, and getting to an age where I don't want to live in a 'modern' house. I find that when you have a modern home and decor, it looks ultra-dated in the span of 5-10 years. That's great when you're 25 and shopping at Target, but not-so-great when you're 41 and you have ten year old furniture that was cheap when you bought it. (IE, I'm starting to think about investing in some serious furniture pieces.)

#2 - I live in the Pacific Northwest, and there are a gazilliion of these houses available for cheap. But I've noticed that they're going fast. And I've noticed that most of the people that buy them rip out the original decor, and replace it with the ubiquitous "granite countertops / new kitchen cabinets / laminate flooring." In other words, they take a house that's sixty years old, and try to make it look like a cookie-cutter new home.

#3 - If constructed carefully, I think some of these old horns can actually complement the decor of a fifty year old home.

And by far, the main reason I'm considering this is simple. My beloved Gedlee Summas are languishing in the garage, because they're just too big and too incongruent with the decor in my home. And I like my stereo so much, I wouldn't rule out buying a whole darn house and going retro with the decor, just so I can have a big set of horns which blends with the home.

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Am I the only person that can't get a set of horns to work in the living room?
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Oh, I should clarify, when I say 'design the home around the speaker' I mean buying a home to house a set of speakers, not tearing out walls, etc.

While I like the idea of soffit mounted Unity horns, a la William Cowan, I was thinking something more along the lines of Jadis:

Particularly since a design like this could complement the decor, particularly if the entire house (or at least the room) is a throwback to the 1950s / 1960s
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If I had the cash and the space I'd soffit-mount my speakers and cover them with aesthetically pleasing, acoustically transparent material.

This would also mean that baffle step correction becomes unnecessary making the xover design infinitely easier.

PS: The bottom three pictures look like examples of really bad listening rooms.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well your second post makes my first post rather pointless.

Thanks a bundle! ;-)
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:22 PM   #5
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Remember Berwin's basement?
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Remember Berwin's basement?
No. Could you fill me in?
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:36 PM   #7
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
My beloved Gedlee Summas are languishing in the garage, because they're just too big and too incongruent with the decor in my home. And I like my stereo so much, I wouldn't rule out buying a whole darn house and going retro with the decor, just so I can have a big set of horns which blends with the home.

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Am I the only person that can't get a set of horns to work in the living room?
Bottom line "Your nuts." Get those speakers out of the garage and hide them like I do. Then this whole agonizing discussion becomes moot.

John, I think that you know that I live in quite an upscale home, my furniture is all Skandinavian Teak, not "cheap" stuff. The seating is all leather. No my speakers, nor any other speakers, go with this kind of decor. But I am not about to match my speakers to the decor - thats admitting total defeat - so I hide mine. They cannot be seen and I love it this way. I even think that it makes them sound better because I never get distracted looking at the speakers (which is what you tend to do if they are visible.) You are very much where I was years ago when my income afforded a nice aboad. I solved the problem and I've never looked back. I keep telling people this, but somehow everyone thinks that the speakers need to be visible. Thats simply not true in the least.

Of course if your speakers are furniture with drivers in them, as almost everything these days is, then your not going to want to hide them. But then that speaks volumes for the place we are in audio today.

God I hope you get through this without giving up!
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This is good info.

The house I lived in when I bought my Summas was quite large - about 2800'

I am likely moving closer to the city, and the upper limit is likely around 1500', maybe 2000'

At these sizes, I think you have three options:

#1 - find a home with a basement, build a home theater
#2 - find a home with a big lot, build a detached home theater
#3 - find some speakers that 'fit' with the decor
#4 - stick the speakers in a room that's too small. For instance, a pair of Summas in a spare bedroom is more 'criminal' than leaving them in the garage, IMHO. They really need some space to image properly. The other day I was working on my laptop in a coffee shop that was quite large, and they were using a $100 set of craptastic speakers, and it was interesting how good those speakers imaged in a big room with no early reflections. (The coffee shop was a big loft, and there wasn't a single reflection with 5' of the loudspeakers.)

I can see how options one and two are the most ideal. Build the room around the speakers.

But I'm also a fan of the 'hiding in plain sight' approach. I think that the person that has Gedlee Nathans in New York City took that approach, IIRC his speaker stands are a lot more handsome than mine, and that helps a lot. Plus, the Nathans have a much much smaller footprint than the Summas.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:29 AM   #9
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

#2 - find a home with a big lot, build a detached home theater.

That's probably the coolest idea, if I had the means, that's probably what I'd do. I've been working on a theater / media room in the basement and while it's coming along nicely, I still find myself nervous about floods..either natural or from burst plumbing.

Building an annex to the house where I could oversee or even do a great deal of the construction myself, built to a perfect size I think would be ideal.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Bottom line "Your nuts." Get those speakers out of the garage and hide them like I do. Then this whole agonizing discussion becomes moot.
Curious to know, how have you hidden them?

Hide this!Advertise here!