:: Mad Men :: - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 12:24 PM   #11
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Simple - just hang up a curtain. Hardly anyone notices.

Couple of points:
-the curtain needs to be sheer so that makes it also optically transparent so behind it must be dark or you will see through it.
- because there is a curtain, you can now literalyy fill the space behind the speakers and the curtain with absorbing material. I have found that this does wonders for imaging. There is no reflections coming from behind the speakers - none.

So there are some limitations to what you can do, but it seems to me that you can usually find some end of a room where you can place the speakers and then hang a curtain. But quite often homes are designed so as to not have such places. Worst case though is that you have to give up a window - thats usually the problem, but thats not a serious modification if you just cover it up. While I did make the theater in the basement I still did have to cover up a window that is behind the curtain.

John

So your problem is not really one that I understood at first. You are going smaller and thats possing some problems. Understandable. Small is always an issue. But there is no solution to the speaker problem that goes smaller - bigger is always better (given comparable base designs). Abbeys are MUCH smaller than Summas but extremely close in sound quality (which is why I don't sell Summas anymore). Nathans are MUCH smaller again, but do give up some sound quality. Harpers don't really cut-it as stereo speakers although in a pinch they have been used for that. When it comes to size its all tradeoffs.
Old 24th September 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Mr. dB is offline Mr. dB  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not just build?
Old 24th September 2012, 01:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
#2 - find a home with a big lot, build a detached home theater.

That's probably the coolest idea, if I had the means, that's probably what I'd do. I've been working on a theater / media room in the basement and while it's coming along nicely, I still find myself nervous about floods..either natural or from burst plumbing.

Building an annex to the house where I could oversee or even do a great deal of the construction myself, built to a perfect size I think would be ideal.
Keep in mind, I'm completely nuts (hence the pseudonym.)

Click the image to open in full size.

But I always thought a bomb shelter would make a nice home theater, especially here in the PNW. Here's why:

#1 - If you had a dedicated detached home theater, the sound of the subs would likely 'carry' in to the neighborhood. Same problem that the car audio guys have when they have big subs in their car, it annoys the whole 'hood.

#2 - Here in the Pacific Northwest, it's very hilly. So instead of building a bomb shelter underground, you can simply 'carve' it into the side of a hill. Just go down to your local tool rental place and rent some excavating equipment for a weekend. Definitely cheaper/easier/safer than building a 2400 cubic foot hole in the backyard.

#3 - No need for permits. Where I'm at, you can build up to 250' without a permit. That's the size of a one-car garage. (Obviously, check with your local city hall.) The big drawback to not using a permit is that you basically can't have any electrical outlets. Might be able to sidestep this via the use of a solar panel, and have the theater run off 12V.

#4 - epic bass. Bass efficiency improves a lot with solid walls. When I used to have my stereo in a basement with concrete walls and floors, it sounded completely different.

#5 - Potentially add value to the house. Besides the fact that future owners could use the space for storage, there's definitely a few people who might pay a premium for a house with a bomb shelter / safe room / etc. I know it's kind of tinfoil hat, but if you look at the ratings for Alex Jones, you'll see there are a lot of people that are into this stuff!

Here's a site with some plans. Cost is about $20K for a 240' bomb shelter, just a hair under the 250' maximum.

Underground bunker kit - build your own bomb shelter!
Old 24th September 2012, 02:51 PM   #14
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Haha, yeah, every time I see your avatar, the scene where he's explaining Phil Collins and Genesis floats through my mind.

The bomb shelter would be pretty awesome, built into the side of a hill, like a Hobbit hole audio room.

The other bonus besides rigid walls might be climate as well, being mostly underground would be a fairly stable temperature without much control.
Old 24th September 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
If I were going for a dedicated room I would have corner flush mounted speakers and a double bass array. Decoupled from everything. I don't know how powerful amps you like to use but the fans in PA amps are annoying and some kind of dedicated room for those would be a welcome addition, could also be used as part of IB setup.

Last edited by kipman725; 24th September 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 04:07 PM   #16
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
The other bonus besides rigid walls might be climate as well, being mostly underground would be a fairly stable temperature without much control.
Problem would be the same one that I have. Its fine when only few people are in the room, but when it gets loaded up the heat goes very high very fast. It takes a lot of air to keep this from happening. That or don't let friends come by.
Old 24th September 2012, 04:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Retro decor, swimming pool *and* a bomb shelter:

22420 PHILIPRIMM St, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 | MLS# F12111559 | Redfin

Sign me up
Old 28th September 2012, 04:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Keep in mind, I'm completely nuts ![/url]
If you purchase a 80" Sharp LED Flat Panel TV your Summa speakers will be the correct size. Just add a couple Ficus trees for organic content and a couple comfortable cloth sofas to make your family and friends feel at home.
Family + Friends = meaning of life. :-)
Old 28th September 2012, 11:20 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Problem would be the same one that I have. Its fine when only few people are in the room, but when it gets loaded up the heat goes very high very fast. It takes a lot of air to keep this from happening. That or don't let friends come by.
Ground-coupled heat exchanger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bam!
Old 28th September 2012, 11:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Retro decor, swimming pool *and* a bomb shelter:

22420 PHILIPRIMM St, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 | MLS# F12111559 | Redfin

Sign me up
That's a beautiful home.

Oh snap, the listing is in pending, what have you done!

Hide this!Advertise here!