midbass duties. size does matter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default midbass duties. size does matter?

hi everyone.

I have a small room.

I plan on using a ribbon tweeter cut around 600 hertz.
I have a small room, and probably will have to live in small room for a long time.

I have stereo subs, and so, my midbass driver would need to do anything from 60hz to 600z. My subs are comfortable up around 80 hz I feel.

Okay, so my question is, how important the size of the driver? How would a 15 inch and a 8 inch, for example, would really matter? I know that you cant cheat physics, but Im not the one to play at loud SPL's. what should I expect from the difference. what are the advantages and the disavantages?

thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

bigger driver tends to present bigger scale of music.

but having the speaker size proportionate to your is a big advantage, as positioning is quite important.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
hi everyone.

I have a small room.

I plan on using a ribbon tweeter cut around 600 hertz.
I have a small room, and probably will have to live in small room for a long time.

I have stereo subs, and so, my midbass driver would need to do anything from 60hz to 600z. My subs are comfortable up around 80 hz I feel.

Okay, so my question is, how important the size of the driver? How would a 15 inch and a 8 inch, for example, would really matter? I know that you cant cheat physics, but Im not the one to play at loud SPL's. what should I expect from the difference. what are the advantages and the disavantages?

thanks
Since SPL is not a consideration, matching dispersion at the crossover between the mid and high is the primary concern.
Ribbons have very little excursion potential, so will sound cleaner crossed higher.
600 Hz is quite low for most ribbon tweeters. Assuming it has 90 degree dispersion at 600 Hz a 15" would work OK and have more sensitivity (in general) than smaller drivers.

Smaller drivers have wider dispersion at higher frequencies, so would allow a higher crossover point with uniform horizontal (ribbons have very narrow vertical dispersion) dispersion at the crossover frequency, reducing the load on the ribbon.

Without seeing specs of the ribbon, off hand I'd go with a 10" or 8" and around 1200 to 3K crossover rather than a 15 at 600 Hz.

Last edited by weltersys; 22nd September 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have to ask:

Which ribbon is happy or even any good at 600Hz?

The usual ones I have seen independent measurements for tend to be good to very good crossed above 6kHz and bad to very bad below that. I'm using my Founteks as supertweeters above 10kHz.
Don't wanna rain on your parade, just being curious.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Me too. Even the 6 foot uber expensive ones don't do anything like that. I can't find one I can afford that goes even down to 4K. 6K maybe, but mid-base don't reach that high which is why I have been playing with fullrange. (with not much success)
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:39 AM   #6
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I have to ask:

I'm with Charles, 600hz on a ribbon sounds like a recipe for a shredded ribbon. Even this one, which could possibly be the largest in the world is only good down to 1khz.

alcons audio - evolutionary audio solutions
Old 22nd September 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

There are numerous ribbon tweeters that can be crossed around 3 kHz LR4 and be quite happy doing so. Fountek Neo3, Raals, LCYs to name a few.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I have to ask:

The usual ones I have seen independent measurements for tend to be good to very good crossed above 6kHz and bad to very bad below that. I'm using my Founteks as supertweeters above 10kHz.
Don't wanna rain on your parade, just being curious.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Account disabled at member's request

hi everyone, the ribbon tweeter wasnt acurate.

ita a planar ribbon horn, as shown in the Crescendo Eureka kit. It is, in design, crossed at around 600 hz.

I find the kit really interesting, but I have hear 15 inch speakers, and was quite stunned at how huge the sound was.

here's the link of the horn ribbon: Crescendo: Eureka! 100db from a 30L Cabinet - 65hz to 25khz

I have been recommended by a couple of people here to just use the horn ribbon, because I really want as much as I can the planar sound, but need the punch in the midbass that only a dynamic speaker can.

Now, I could use the kit as is, which is a 8 inch, but im curious to know what are your opinion if I was to build a 15 inch OB's, keep the 8 inch, put a 15 inch in a closed box, or ect.

Bear in mind that my room is quite small, so maybe a OB's is out of the question?

okay enough, cheers!
Old 22nd September 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Just prototype it and ask questions then. 15's are for PA systems or the ultra crazy sub crowd. You should look into the issues with beaming with respect to diameter.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Cheers Murphy,
that ribbon (well magnetostat really) is a new one to me!
Looks interesting though albeit somewhat pricey.

Personally and for a 2way I'd probably mate it to a 10 or 12 incher, 8" looks a bit weeny.

Hide this!Advertise here!