Stealth Bomber Inspired Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I have been looking to buy some speakers for use with my new pc for over 6 months. I want heavy solid speakers about 40cm high, little monoliths for the desk. These will then be used for house parties. The more I read the more my budget increases as I realise the sound I want isn't going to come with a price tag to match. I really want something special and that is able to provide solid sound without having that flat boomy bass that I get with most of my bought speakers. I want my music to sound alive.

The solution, build my own. I had no idea there was such a huge community on DIY speakers. Fantastic! I think this is something I could really get in to.

Realistically i'm looking to spend about $500-$700 on all the materials. This would be my first project. I have done up a rough first mockup of the sort of design I want, however i'd probably go more angular than this (think lambourghini/stealth bomber inspired). Then potentially a stainless steel mesh to use as a cover (aesthetic only at this point). Personally I just like the look of the drivers but mesh could work.

Problem now is... where do I start?

I love being thrown in the deep end and am willing to learn. If i have to buy a few books then I will. If it takes me 6 months then I'll do it. I don't want a kit set as I want complete control over the look and sound. I am very particular and detail orientated and I'm crafty with wood. I realise there is probably a very steep learning curve but it's something I want to do.

Is this possible, can anyone recommend any books, and would a system that is setup like this work. 2 x (2 x Full range with 1 x tweeter) plus 1 woofer?

As far as amps go, how does a 2.1 work with a pc? I am guessing I need a dedicated sound card to connect. Wow I have so many questions.

I realise I probably haven't submitted this in the right place either that's how much a noob I am. ; )

Attachments

• speakers2.jpg
    speakers2.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 238
  • speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 226
  • speakers3.jpg
    speakers3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 223
Your part of the way there already... You know what you don't want.

You don't want a JB HiFi or Good Guys you beaut specials that produce muddy bass that stomps all over the music.

Good to have a budget in mind to work to as well (after reading a few books you may want to increase that).

What sort of music do you like to listen to? that as much as anything helps guide you down the right DIY path.

Where do I begin?

I like to listen to techno/trance when I'm on a tight deadline, or if it's 3am and feel like busting some shapes, or classical music when i'm feeling rather nostalgic, or even middle eastern music like that of the Black Hawk Down Soundtrack, when candles are lit and incense is burning... Also include top 40 songs and general oldies.

I play the piano and for me it's more about the music not always the lyric so I'll often listen to a lot of international or traditional music too. I won't be listening to any new age rock or death metal, anything above 160bpm is too much. I like Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, bit of Cream, Ray Charles, Nina Simone... to Vivaldi, Panpipes and tribal drums.

Here's the standard recommendation. Its not a lite read.

Madisound Speaker Store

you'll need measurement equipment to do it right. Parts express has a calibrated behringer that's probably the best to start with.

Your first speaker will probably not be great. It will take six months just to figure out what to buy and how to operate it. It will take many projects, and probably several years to learn to build a good speaker. If you want to do this for years as a hobby then go for it. If you want one great pair of speakers, find a design that suits you and do that. Your budget would build a great set of speakers.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Geometry where are you located?
my beloved wants me to halve my inventory and I could let you have 4 small ( 3inch) full range drivers FOC if you come to Geelong for pick-up.
These are quite good but WILL need a sub and maybe a pair of super tweeters.
Close up they are OK; party speakers need to a second pair as nothing small will give you the loudness you need for dancing
Tribal drums need serious bass so look at a 12, 6 or 8 inch won't be enough IMO

Vance Dickason's The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is probably a good place to start.
Do some selective reading, find out how to size a vented box, and how to use a (free) program like Unibox to make that easy. Then, you'll have to gain an understanding of crossover design. Rod Elliotts article on that is a good place to start.
What you propose is an interesting design for PC speakers, but a little on the light side for house parties...

Just ordered The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, issue 7. That's done!

I'll have a look at Rod's 2.1 amp. Thanks guys.

They would primarily be pc speakers as most of my listening will be in my office while I'm either relaxing or working. House parties not quite as often... and my house parties aren't an underground event so i'd be happy if the sound could fill a decent sized room of say 75 cubic meters (tall ceilings).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
12 inch for depth more than loudness ( lower Fs usually ) a decent sub can be made with a box no bigger than a 15inch cube, but as with most things speaker related bigger is almost always better WAF not included.
We use a 12 inch passive sub in our bedroom with 6inch 2-ways but I have excellent WAF

These are the speaker ports on the back of the pc
http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/wMYmwl5uuG2ml3jJ/wcYh4FcwCgISBgb7_500.jpg

would I need a sound card with these connections instead?

http://www.pccasegear.com/UserFiles/asusxonarST_main1.jpg

With anything new you first often have to become extremely confused before things become clear. This next question probably lies in understanding how crossovers work, however I still don't know how you go from 3 speakers, with presumably 6 internal cables, down to 2 that then feed into the woofer. Once the woofer has 2 speakers coming in plus it's own wires and cables, how do you then feed this into a pc through a digital cable? Maybe I should just read the book...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.