Tang Band W5-704 and a TB ceramic tweeter - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #51
imagios is offline imagios  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissi View Post
Hi Imagios,

You will get better results, if you import a .frd data file!
Anyone knows how to get the frd data?
Old 15th October 2012, 10:05 AM   #52
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Sorry I can not help with .frd files. But I have a proposal for the crossover. It may not be the ultimate solution, because the driver data are somewhat doubtful, particularly concerning the tweeter, but better than nothing...

My simulation is based on the data of Zaph (woofer) and the datasheet (tweeter). As I have heard of Tang Band tweeters having spl differences of 4 dB, you will probably have to adjust the resistor in the tweeter path.

SimulationImagios.jpg

CrossoverImagios.jpg
Old 15th October 2012, 04:49 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My simulation is based on the data of Zaph (woofer) and the datasheet (tweeter). As I have heard of Tang Band tweeters having spl differences of 4 dB, you will probably have to adjust the resistor in the tweeter path.
Thanks a lot for that, I have to get your program

What about the high peak at the end, do I understand it right to adjust that with a resitor?

Btw. the bassreflex arraived today, just waiting till the glue gets dry
It will take me some time before I finalize it, since I would like to have the final crossover on a custom pcb. but from what your simulation shows it seems decent, I have just only expected a better lower freq. performace, as from WinISD simulations.
I will make the next update after playing the box with the vent
Old 15th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #54
Allstar is offline Allstar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagios View Post
Anyone knows how to get the frd data?
I could let you have the frd I created by tracing Zaph's measurements with SplTrace if you're interested ? It should be quite accurate, I was careful and checked it tallied with the original. I also have the zma for the W5 704D if you need it. Sorry, I can't help with the tweeter, I'm using a different one.

It'd be the "raw" frd I'd provide rather than the one's I'm actually using in PCD. Those are the raw driver responses modified with Response Modeler to take into account the effects of my specific baffle and enclosure (this is pretty much a necessity for predicting a decent crossover with PCD. The link I gave earlier in the thread explains how to do this ).
Old 15th October 2012, 06:39 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I have used SPL copy but, even thou I done all like in the manual, I never got copied the data...
If you can send me the Spl of the midwoofer that would be great
Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 07:54 PM   #56
Allstar is offline Allstar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here you go (zipped so as to comply with the forum's attachment management).
Attached Files
File Type: zip TangBand_W5704D_frd.zip (2.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 15th October 2012, 09:19 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Thanks I will run some new simulations tomorrow, in the mean while the bassreflex is in place, it helped a lot, I have downloaded a freq. generator and found some unpleasant resonances in higher volumes, I will continue tomorrow to analyse it, but clear is the first order BW just by its self is not the right solution.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:39 PM   #58
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Imagios,

The resistor in the tweeter section determines the general level of the tweeter. If the tweeter is too loud, increase the resistor to bring it in balance with the woofer.

The peak at 23 kHz is another issue. You will have to decide yourself, whether to apply a notch filter or not. But don't expect the peak to be exactly as in the datasheet, as it will probably be different in your box.

The low frequency simulation of WinISD is a little bit optimistic, as it does not consider the influence of baffle step and serial inductors (of driver and crossover). This leads to different results like 50Hz and 58Hz. Further I was not sure about your volume and vent tuning and assumed 12.78 litres with a port of 45 x 120 mm. But don't be disappointed, the result is ok in relation to a volume of less than 13 litres!
Old 16th October 2012, 10:47 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Imagios,

The peak at 23 kHz is another issue. You will have to decide yourself, whether to apply a notch filter or not. But don't expect the peak to be exactly as in the datasheet, as it will probably be different in your box.
I have run yesterday some test with the freq. generator, I believe I donīt have to be afraid of the end high pear, since just to hear a sound of 15 kHz in a not absolutely quiet room was at least for my ears not possible, I dont thing I could hear a 18kHz sound, at least not the generated at decent levels.

After putting the real frl file of the woofer into the system, that quite changed the perspective, I will try to get the tweeter as well to show a complete picture, but just now I know the cap is too high.

I will keep you updated
Old 16th October 2012, 11:28 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

OK I did not get the frd file for the tweeter, but I downloadet the one for the Tang Band 25-1166S.frd from rbjaudio.com, according to the datasheet both thweeters are alsmost the same, except mine has this peak at 20kHz
never the less here is the horible result:
Click the image to open in full size.

I will play around with the crossover to make that more smooth

Hide this!Advertise here!