My Castle Avon not sounding right

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of Castle Avon used and the drivers and tweeters are working fine. I also examine the crossovers and the hi-pass and low pass-capacitors, inductors and resistors all look original and unmolested.

According to review by Gramophone (Review | Castle Avon loudspeaker | Page115 - April1997 - Gramophone Archive), the Avon could sound bright. The trouble with my Avon is that the tweeters are pretty soft and the brightness does not present. The HF is kind of lacking as compare with my Linn Kan I and Epos ES 11.

What could be the problem? The tweeters are definitely working. Is there a need to replace the hi-pass capacitors?

Perhaps, someone who is familiar with the Avon could share your experience. I am hoping that perhaps, the Avon simply sounded this way.

Hi,
maybe the tweeters are fluid cooled and the fluid dried over the years. I had that in my B&W CDM1. The tweeter seems ok, but there is definitely something missing.

Thamks Joschi for your sharing. The tweeter is fabric polyamide laminated soft dome unit. I am not sure if it is fluid cooled. If it is, what should I do? Did you replace the tweeters in your B&W CDM1?

Certainly Not discounting the possibility that there is damage to your Castles. However it could also be due to what you are familiar with.
IMO/auditions, Linn Kans were Horridly shrill things. Simply unpleasant.. period.
Definitely an Odd tonal balance, As are most Linn Speakers.
Made for old Scotties with impaired hearing?? :) Dunno, but it's a common criticism.
But "kans' were the low water mark in harshness,IMO, even for Linn.
Not Any kind of a reference to judge other speakers by.

Certainly Not discounting the possibility that there is damage to your Castles. However it could also be due to what you are familiar with.
IMO/auditions, Linn Kans were Horridly shrill things. Simply unpleasant.. period.
Definitely an Odd tonal balance, As are most Linn Speakers.
Made for old Scotties with impaired hearing?? :) Dunno, but it's a common criticism.
But "kans' were the low water mark in harshness,IMO, even for Linn.
Not Any kind of a reference to judge other speakers by.

I never rule out this possibility since the Kans are obviously bright sounding. I had owned the Castle Pembroke which is similar to the Avon (one model down) and the Pembroke sounded much more open with better HF. Now that I confirm the tweeters are ferrofluid, the chances of them drying appears high.

Just want to update about my experience with the Avon tweeters. I removed both the tweeters and found them contaminated with residues of the dry-out ferrofluid. I had both the voice coils cleaned and surronding gap holding the coils. I believe the tweeters are now without any ferrofluid or rather they have been playing "dry" since the day I bought the Avon.

The HF is now much more audible after the service. I am not so sure is the way the Avon should sound but am happy with the improvement. I may at a later stage sawp the tweeters for the Vifa DX27TG which appears to be the closest to the original.

I would be happy to hear from owners of Avon, Sterven or Isis which use the same tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.