Adding a subwoofer in a multi-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope I can explain this right.
In my Definitive Technologies CLR 2300's, they have a 4" woofer, a 1" tweeter and a powered subwoofer. To get audio to all three, you use an amplifier and speaker wire. It takes the low frequencies and sends it to the sub that has an attenuation control. Since I'm not using an RCA to send it a line level signal, how is it doing this? Is it some sort of hi to low converter inside?
I like the idea of this and would like to try this concept in a pair I building.

Thanks!

I don't think low frequencies are sent to the sub, the full range signal are being sent and the powered sub has a xo.

You might be over thinking this small set up (I've seen your studio pics).
How many amps do you have for the setup? DO you plan on using a small plate amp - they typically have high/low inputs.
Do you need a small active xo?

btw, they make 2.1 stereo receivers (sub out like a HT receiver) my buddy picked one up, he loves it.

I was thinking buy (2) 100w plate amps. Have them power the 8"s or 10"s. I just like the idea of having the subs in stereo and being attached to the boxes. Kind of like I did with the tall grays ones I built but I had to send a line lvl to subs. This one I want to work like the DefTechs work.

yes,,,btw, there are many speaker/line level converter out there, used them a couple of times:

old film projector - no XRL/RC out, tapped into speaker (which was on the cover) and ran to rack.

Put a sub in a chevy truck, tapped of the speaker lead in the back door, that worked fine, crystal clear bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.