diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   First time build - Query (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/219966-first-time-build-query.html)

sometimesuk 18th September 2012 07:30 PM

First time build - Query

Hi everyone,

I was hoping people on here would share some of their knowledge and experience....I'm into my music and Hifi and would like to build my own speakers, its something that I always wanted to do.

The main thing that puts me off, is how do you go about voicing a speaker?

I know that every speaker sounds difference, and I wouldnt want to spend a fortune, only to find I dont like the sound of the speaker. I'm using a 2k bookshelf speaker and would like to build floorstanders., so they would have to be better than them.

I might, build a relatively cheap pair for the study first to gain experience.

tvrgeek 18th September 2012 08:05 PM

You sit back with a snifter of good scotch and a big stack of music you know well. I find Joni Mitchel's voice to be terribly hard to get right.

Now, if you have instrumentation, you will get a hint where to play around much quicker. It is still your ears in your room you have to please.

I recommend building an established design the first time. Build prototype boxes. I actually build my crossover on the back of the speaker so I can swap in and out parts with jumper leads. What you are probably going to be playing with is top end roll-off, balance between tweeter and woofer, and the frequency of the BSC.

I will warn you, the radius on the baffle edge and the location of drivers on the baffle can make as big a difference as anything. This is why I suggest starting with a known design. Exactly.

You did say build, not design. Big difference. On this side of the pond, folks like Madisound have established kits of known quality. ( discount on parts in the kit) I am sure you have suppliers there too. Any of the Seas designs. A couple are floor standers. Not cheap though.

sometimesuk 18th September 2012 08:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was actually thinking of going the whole hog - Design and build my own speakers.

I think, your right, start with an established design first.

If I'm going to do that, I wouldnt want to make something, just for the sake of it, with no use in mind, so I would want to make an active speaker, for the computer. there must be amplifier kits out there

mondogenerator 18th September 2012 08:38 PM

check out the Visaton site, they have a good few well reviewed 'tower' or floorstanding kits. They also have a freeware design package which simulates most of the important stuff.

BUT BEWARE! You could end up like me; designing 6 designs having built one, and wondering where to find the time to make them all :D

active is not something i know alot about, but there plenty of kits out there, and designs in the other forums if you want to do more than solder.

sometimesuk 18th September 2012 09:07 PM

that Visaton site looks quite good, though I cant see anywhere, where you can actual buy their products, or I'm I missing the point???

xjr100 18th September 2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sometimesuk (Post 3169897)
.... I'm using a 2k bookshelf speaker and would like to build floorstanders., so they would have to be better than them.

What is your bookshelves? Jut to get an idea, what you want to achive with new project - it is rather hard to build the system with really good sound, which is better than 2K system from the shop.
You need good measurement equipment (software, soundcard, and calibrated measurement microphone) and plenty of time before you get the result.

Visaton: they have nice simulation software, but in fact you can play with it but real speaker response is different and my personal oppinion - it is cheap projects for beginners - will not beat you 2K speakers in terms of SQ. It is better to repeat some of the projects from Troels website.

dent 18th September 2012 11:12 PM

Go and have a look at IPL acoustics site.You can go and listen to thrse which helps and Ivan is an incredibly helpful and nice guy.
I have fairly recently completed a pair of S5tl ribbons and they hammer a pair of 6000 B&W floorstanders I also own.
There is also Wilmslow Audio but I personally find they tend to advertise a lot of stuff they have not got in stock.and they are expensive.I would advise checking by phone before you travel to listen or order.
You could also no doubt listen to forum members builds depending on where you live.
Go for a well known design built many times and you will have no trouble beating your present speakers.
You will also find many of the American and Canadian designs have been built in this country,I myself have two of Dave Dlugos/Scottmoose designs up and running and very nice they are too

mondogenerator 19th September 2012 05:29 AM

lautssprecher.de stock most Visaton drivers and stock many kits from different brands. Europe audio, wilmslow audio, or falcon acoustics also sell kits. I have personally found the European sites very good, and with a much greater range than the few UK shops. Incidentally, i built a small tower loosely based on the components used in Visatons' Vib130TL kit. Drivers and passives set me back 300 or so. Whether a kit of this kind equates to 2k of commercial product, i couldnt say. I have lived with LS5/3A for most of my life, and my homemades sound just as good, bass flat to 43hz, and around +/- 1.5dB from 500hz to 15k (by simulation, in room response will differ). Boxsim is very good software, not flawless but powerful.

sometimesuk 19th September 2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjr100 (Post 3170080)
What is your bookshelves? Jut to get an idea, what you want to achive with new project - it is rather hard to build the system with really good sound, which is better than 2K system from the shop.
You need good measurement equipment (software, soundcard, and calibrated measurement microphone) and plenty of time before you get the result.

Visaton: they have nice simulation software, but in fact you can play with it but real speaker response is different and my personal oppinion - it is cheap projects for beginners - will not beat you 2K speakers in terms of SQ. It is better to repeat some of the projects from Troels website.

Your making a realistic point I guess. I guess thats what your paying for, all the time and effort someone else has paid getting it right.

I've got a pair of Acoustic Energy Reference 2's , which I am completely happy with. Making a pair of speakers and giving it a go, is just something that I always wanted to do, its not a reflection on the AE speakers, I think they are great.