Have the DIY Synergy speakers doing (almost) linear phase - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 04:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Oh Yeah Baby! Now we are cooking. This sounds awesome Sergey. Which Akip Lab(http://www.akiplab.com/en/en_index.htm) ribbon are you using? Where did you get them and how much did they cost? Which Celestion drivers?

Would love to see how this build progresses.

This is Awesome!
Keep us up to date(you should start a thread)

FYI: BWaslo has built a Synergy with compression drivers and even recieved help on the crossover from Tom Danley.

ok, got a hold of myself now...got a little exited

thanks
Shane
Old 5th December 2012, 05:08 PM   #12
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I took a very similar approach with my latest crossover version, first order filters with lots of overlap and a second electrical pole kicking in closer to the final rolloff (with resistive damping on the woofer shunt capacitor).

It models a lot like your results above, and sounds superb.

Current Speaker.jpg
Old 5th December 2012, 05:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Badman...you are a Bad Man.

That is a beautiful monster. I notice you have her on castors...hehe. What drivers did you use and what is in the throat of the wave guide?
Old 6th December 2012, 04:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdman View Post
Badman...you are a Bad Man.

That is a beautiful monster. I notice you have her on castors...hehe. What drivers did you use and what is in the throat of the wave guide?
Thanks- the woofer is a BD BD15, one of the few 15"s one can trust to play a little higher (as needed for the relatively-linear-phase XO), and the compression driver is selenium d2500Ti. I modified the diaphragms with a homebrew coating of tacky glue (Foam glue, effectively the same thing as Aleene's Tacky glue, or several other white-glue products) and talc, diluted with water.

Made a big difference at the top end, commensurate with the smoothing one expects from damping. The very highest tizziness from phragm breakup seems to be gone, and a dip in the 6-8k region seems to have filled in, so it sounds more extended but less tizzy.

In the throat, is reticulated aquarium foam, a la geddes. I removed the bugscreens and smoothed the throat transition with clay, though I may do a silicone fill-in sometime, instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coating Phragms 3.jpg (234.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 6th December 2012, 07:12 PM   #15
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Gave up on the heil badman?
Old 6th December 2012, 07:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
Gave up on the heil badman?
Naw, but I decided to pull the active XO out of the rig for a while after I had something evil happen in my rig (think the switching pop from the pre set the crossover into some sort of malfunction mode, blowing the amp channel and associated woofer), and had been meaning to try the seleniums for a while, I'd previously run these OSWGs with JBL 2426h.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:43 PM   #17
tomtom is offline tomtom  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hi Badman

Very nice project. How low you cross WG?
Old 6th December 2012, 08:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Xo is in the neighborhood of 1600Hz, but is first order down to about 1k, where a second electrical pole and a significant amount of acoustic rolloff begin, creating a very steep final filter function.

With the JBL 2426 this waveguide was very happy with a crossover more like 1kHz.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:57 PM   #19
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you show us some measurements?
Old 6th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Can you show us some measurements?
I'll assume this is directed at me- and this is a good juncture for me to bow back out of the thread, certainly don't want to steal the OPs thunder.

I don't have measures I can share- my measurements are based upon in-room with use of an RTA/Mic, I do sweeps and whatnot but can't capture them. I simulate with PCD, and measure to ensure that there's nothing disagreeing with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!