Have the DIY Synergy speakers doing (almost) linear phase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For anyone following the various DIY Synergy or Unity builds, or planning to build one, I've worked out a revised crossover on mine that gets it pretty close to linear phase (comparable to the Quad esl63 phase plots I've seen). With some help from Tom Danley, who also worked out an active crossover to get linear phase for the same speaker (I haven't been able to try that yet, but plan to in the near future). Thanks Tom for the crossover, and for the whole Synergy idea. Doesn't get much better than this.

Details at --
DIY Synergy/Unity spreadsheet
cosyne2%20meas%20FR.jpg

cosyne2%20meas%20IR.jpg

Thanks guys. There is also a Youtube video of squarewave responses at coSyne DIY Synergy horn reproducing square waves.. sort of - YouTube

Concerning my approach: modeled in PCD, adjusted common delay to all drivers to get phase curve to be flatest on tweeter (after cd compensation applied). Set up polarities of drivers to get phases as near 0 degrees as possible. combine with low order filters outside of natural rolloffs, multiple sections when needed to get delay. Much driver overlap needed and a fortunate arrangement of driver depth offsets (synergy layout tends to make that more likely, there was luck in my case). Tom has a more methodical process described in his Unity patent. I mostly went trial-and-error watching response mag and phase while adjusting things in PCD.

Any body know it the Beyma TPL150, an AMT tweeter, would work properly in a Danley Sound Synergy horn? Will the AMT "load" the horn properly like a compression driver? Will a waveguide control directivity on the AMT in the same way it does in a waveguide?

Thanks

Oh Yeah Baby! Now we are cooking. This sounds awesome Sergey. Which Akip Lab(http://www.akiplab.com/en/en_index.htm) ribbon are you using? Where did you get them and how much did they cost? Which Celestion drivers?

Would love to see how this build progresses.

This is Awesome!
Keep us up to date(you should start a thread)

FYI: BWaslo has built a Synergy with compression drivers and even recieved help on the crossover from Tom Danley.

ok, got a hold of myself now...got a little exited;)

thanks
Shane

Badman...you are a Bad Man.

That is a beautiful monster. I notice you have her on castors...hehe. What drivers did you use and what is in the throat of the wave guide?

Thanks- the woofer is a BD BD15, one of the few 15"s one can trust to play a little higher (as needed for the relatively-linear-phase XO), and the compression driver is selenium d2500Ti. I modified the diaphragms with a homebrew coating of tacky glue (Foam glue, effectively the same thing as Aleene's Tacky glue, or several other white-glue products) and talc, diluted with water.

Made a big difference at the top end, commensurate with the smoothing one expects from damping. The very highest tizziness from phragm breakup seems to be gone, and a dip in the 6-8k region seems to have filled in, so it sounds more extended but less tizzy.

In the throat, is reticulated aquarium foam, a la geddes. I removed the bugscreens and smoothed the throat transition with clay, though I may do a silicone fill-in sometime, instead.

Attachments

• Coating Phragms 3.jpg
    Coating Phragms 3.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 631
Gave up on the heil badman?

Naw, but I decided to pull the active XO out of the rig for a while after I had something evil happen in my rig (think the switching pop from the pre set the crossover into some sort of malfunction mode, blowing the amp channel and associated woofer), and had been meaning to try the seleniums for a while, I'd previously run these OSWGs with JBL 2426h.

Can you show us some measurements?

I'll assume this is directed at me- and this is a good juncture for me to bow back out of the thread, certainly don't want to steal the OPs thunder.

I don't have measures I can share- my measurements are based upon in-room with use of an RTA/Mic, I do sweeps and whatnot but can't capture them. I simulate with PCD, and measure to ensure that there's nothing disagreeing with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.