SS 10F as a midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It sounds awesome 1-6kHz in the NaO Note and I have no reason to think it won't work in your application as well as the distortion seems perfectly fine down to 500hz and beyond.

Btw, the OW1 is one nice tweeter, should make a sweet combination.

Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-HD.gif

Specifications wise it's a very nice driver, I hope to use it one day. I think it gets relatively little press simply because it's a rather specific driver. It has decent extension, but doesn't have quite the top octave of other full rangers. It also goes low gracefully (as low as a small driver like this can go), but doesn't have the bottom end that other full rangers have either. Not surprisingly it isn't as popular as other drivers in the full range crowd. When used in multiway loudspeakers, it basically makes for a high quality small midrange driver. It is perfect for an application that covers 500Hz-3kHz. Used as such you get loads of flexibility in terms of what filters you want to use as it will support shallow acoustic targets if you wish.

Most people seem to like it, but when I was interested, I asked someone that had worked with it and he told me that it had a strange coloration on brass that he just could not voice out of the final speaker. Interestingly enough that same speaker won a DIY contest, as this coloration was not evident on the typical DIY meet fare. It's someone whose ear I trust.

If height is not an issue, look into the BG Neo8 as an alternative in the same price range that I think is an unbeatable driver for around 600hz to 3khz.

Last edited:
Most people seem to like it, but when I was interested, I asked someone that had worked with it and he told me that it had a strange coloration on brass that he just could not voice out of the final speaker. Interestingly enough that same speaker won a DIY contest, as this coloration was not evident on the typical DIY meet fare. It's someone whose ear I trust.

If height is not an issue, look into the BG Neo8 as an alternative in the same price range that I think is an unbeatable driver for around 600hz to 3khz.

I had a similar experience with the 12MUs, I put this down to this… while the specs might measure well, the amount of air it moves based on the small size of the driver cone, it can sound a little weird if it isn’t optimally placed in the frequency. The other thing I have found with SS drivers, is they must be broken in to sound right. I would refrain from drawing any conclusions about the drivers until it has at the very least 10 hours of playing on it.

I've used it. Imo, its a great sounding mid and very easy to work with. A mid this size makes the most sense on a narrow baffle and crossed at baffle step. Due to its dispersion and smooth roll off, it allows the use of shallow slopes up top and/or small domes or ribbons.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.