SS 10F as a midrange - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Dag is offline Dag  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default SS 10F as a midrange

Hi!

Has anyone used the 10F as a midrange? I like the measurements, FR, sens, size...but how does it sound as a midrange (500-3k)?

Thanks

(I plan to use the 8ohm 10F together with Peerless HDS bass and Hiquphon tweeter.)
Old 16th September 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

from the data it looks suitable, but i have not used that driver myself. Perhaps someone with experience of this driver will chime in.
Old 16th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

It sounds awesome 1-6kHz in the NaO Note and I have no reason to think it won't work in your application as well as the distortion seems perfectly fine down to 500hz and beyond.

Btw, the OW1 is one nice tweeter, should make a sweet combination.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th September 2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Dag is offline Dag  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jonasz, good to hear you like it as a midrange. I've seen too many good measurements but not that much hearing impressions so I was wondering what was wrong with the driver, but maybe people just want to keep it for themselvs
Old 17th September 2012, 01:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Specifications wise it's a very nice driver, I hope to use it one day. I think it gets relatively little press simply because it's a rather specific driver. It has decent extension, but doesn't have quite the top octave of other full rangers. It also goes low gracefully (as low as a small driver like this can go), but doesn't have the bottom end that other full rangers have either. Not surprisingly it isn't as popular as other drivers in the full range crowd. When used in multiway loudspeakers, it basically makes for a high quality small midrange driver. It is perfect for an application that covers 500Hz-3kHz. Used as such you get loads of flexibility in terms of what filters you want to use as it will support shallow acoustic targets if you wish.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Most people seem to like it, but when I was interested, I asked someone that had worked with it and he told me that it had a strange coloration on brass that he just could not voice out of the final speaker. Interestingly enough that same speaker won a DIY contest, as this coloration was not evident on the typical DIY meet fare. It's someone whose ear I trust.

If height is not an issue, look into the BG Neo8 as an alternative in the same price range that I think is an unbeatable driver for around 600hz to 3khz.

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 17th September 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
Most people seem to like it, but when I was interested, I asked someone that had worked with it and he told me that it had a strange coloration on brass that he just could not voice out of the final speaker. Interestingly enough that same speaker won a DIY contest, as this coloration was not evident on the typical DIY meet fare. It's someone whose ear I trust.

If height is not an issue, look into the BG Neo8 as an alternative in the same price range that I think is an unbeatable driver for around 600hz to 3khz.
I had a similar experience with the 12MUs, I put this down to thisÖ while the specs might measure well, the amount of air it moves based on the small size of the driver cone, it can sound a little weird if it isnít optimally placed in the frequency. The other thing I have found with SS drivers, is they must be broken in to sound right. I would refrain from drawing any conclusions about the drivers until it has at the very least 10 hours of playing on it.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:24 AM   #8
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used it. Imo, its a great sounding mid and very easy to work with. A mid this size makes the most sense on a narrow baffle and crossed at baffle step. Due to its dispersion and smooth roll off, it allows the use of shallow slopes up top and/or small domes or ribbons.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Hide this!Advertise here!