Looking for build advice: simple home theater floor standers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a simple floor stand pair and stay under$300, if possible. A little over is okay, but my current speakers start to sound better when I think about $400+.

Space isn't a huge concern, but they need to be fairly narrow. No wider than a 10" would need. I need something done before as I lack the experience and time to design my own cabinets and crossovers. I have 80w x2 for power and do have a powered sub for the extreme lows. My overall goals is to build a set that sounds better than i could buy for the same price, has enough low end authority to give that visceral chest thump from the drums, has a detailed mid and top end, and meets the wife's loose restrictions. Basically, it just has to look nice to make her happy.

I'm no master woodworker, but i can handle basic cabinet building. I dont think i will be building any curved horns of my own, but a ported, folded horn or tl enclosure doesnt worry me. I have a jig saw, table saw, circular saw, mitre saw and a rotozip on hand.

Thanks for the help.

Also, pointed search subjects are welcome. I looked, but didnt know what to look for.

Thanks! I'll take a look at those and some used goodies and see what pops out. I know the budget is in the small side, especially given my goals, so I'm surprised there weren't more 'need more money for your goals' posts. More to look at is always better, so keep em coming.

I haven't heard these myself, but from what others say you can't go wrong with them. Curt does a lot of design work and is highly regarded for his knowledge and contributions to the DIY speaker world. Plus, the main drivers are on clearance at Parts Express. There are also "compacted" versions so you can make rear speakers to compliment these.
Speaker Projects Gallery,Speaker Design Goals, Project Materials, Enclosure Assembly, Speaker Project Photos and More, Submitted By Parts Express Customers.
Mike

That helped a lot and looks to be a great project for my budget. The problem is the tweeter. It is on back order. Can you guys suggest a viable alternative in the $25 or less (each). If crossover changes need to be made, those will be needed too as i have no clue about that subject.

Good call, I got caught up in the shopping cart at PE and forgot to look there. Thanks for all the quick help!

Glad I could help. If you decide to go with the Stentorians, I hope you post your opinion. For that matter, whatever you go with, it would be nice to hear your opinion.
One more thought; Paul Carmody has designed some great speakers. If you Google his name, you'll find his page with some of his designs.

Mike

I will look into them as well. I will definitely post my opinion and probably a build log when the time comes. I also have plans to build a frugle horn set with some existing drivers I have in the garage, just for giggles. I'll post about that too. I Ned to read up on finishing techniques now. Gotta make it pretty for the wife and protect the drivers from the little ones' poking fingers, I have a pair of pioneer cabinets handed down to me that my dad owned and they show evidence of what I did to the dust caps at 3, haha.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.