Listening seat against rear-wall - How bad is it? How to reduce inherent problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
His proposal looks like this. Listening position at the wall, and speakers almost in the middle of room.

aplong.jpg

Practical or not, that was considered optimal.

I also agree. For practical reasons I have my seat against the rear wall. Because there is audible colouration from the rear wall reflection, I put an absorber against the wall. This helps for timbre but unfortunately it really kills spaciousness and makes the sound somewhat dry/less lively.

a_tewinkel:

How are the side walls? I have the thick absorber behind my head, but I feel quite strong spatial effect with bare side walls. Speakers on the long wall with strong toe-in. Speakers have smooth, but wide dispersion (Seas DXT + 6" woofer).

Side walls are at least 2 metres away from the speakers and the have a +-60 degree coverage angle, so that contributes to the lack of spaciousness. But the change in 'dryness' with the absorbers is profound, it may be less so with closer side walls or wider dispersion.

This set-up is not optimal for these speakers, they would do pretty good relatively close to the side walls. But in my room that is not an option.

A little bit of topic, but be aware that inhaling glass fibers could cause you lung problems, so i suggest you to use absorbers based on synthetic materials instead which are 100% safe.

I also agree. For practical reasons I have my seat against the rear wall. Because there is audible colouration from the rear wall reflection, I put an absorber against the wall. This helps for timbre but unfortunately it really kills spaciousness and makes the sound somewhat dry/less lively.

The fiberglass in the panel has a very particular odor. It's not very strong, but you could smell it if you were sitting on the couch that is right in front of it. Also, while sitting down on the couch, you'd immediately notice the acoustic 'black hole' behind you. After about a year I decided to wrap the panel in cling film. This does two things: 1) it keeps the odor and microscopic particles inside; and 2) it brings back some liveliness and spaciousness. You might want to try it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.