Listening seat against rear-wall - How bad is it? How to reduce inherent problems? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I do experience an effect in the low midrange I don't know how other to describe than 'phasyness'.
That's probably a low(er) frequency room effect. Run a slow sweep. Do you get a lot of fluctuating directional sensations?
Old 19th October 2012, 09:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since a couple of weeks I've got a big damping panel behind me, measuring 2m40 by 1m20 and 20 cm thick. I wish I could've made it even thicker, but this is as far as the girlfriend allowed me to go .

Measurements indicate that above about 500 hz it works almost as a black hole
What panel did you use?
How you perform the measurements?
Old 19th October 2012, 09:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

In most rooms you don't need or want the sofa right tight to the rear wall...if you move it out just 16" that will put your ears 2' from the wall with much improved sound and better WAF.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman35 View Post
Yes! How did you measure that? I'd like to try it.

FWIW, my sofa is about 2 feet (60 cm) from the rear wall. I have panels on the wall that are 6" (15 cm) thick on that wall. They seem to work well, tho I do need some more coverage.

Great topic.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

This is also my current listening situation.

Treating the room isn't an option (uni dorm room), so I tend to sit on my bed, leaning back on a pillow to listen to music. More comfortable than leaning on the wall, and the sound's better.
I do still have a strong resonance in the ~120Hz range - I suspect it's a standing wave as the wavelength seems to coincide with the room width.
I can lean forward and the resonance dies down somewhat, but the room is also very lossy in the bass - crank it up so you can feel it in one place, and in other places you'll think you're listening to 3" satellite speakers with no sub.

Hopefully a dedicated subwoofer will sort this out, and provide some more <40Hz oomph for parties too.

Chris
Old 21st October 2012, 07:49 AM   #16
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
That's probably a low(er) frequency room effect. Run a slow sweep. Do you get a lot of fluctuating directional sensations?
I'll try that and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman35 View Post
What panel did you use?
I used the fiber glass batts that were available at the local hardware store. The measurements were not directly on the panel itself. I just compared several measurements at and around the listening position before and after installing the panel. There are very obvious differences above 500 hz. At lower frequencies the effects are simply less significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
In most rooms you don't need or want the sofa right tight to the rear wall...if you move it out just 16" that will put your ears 2' from the wall with much improved sound and better WAF.
Perhaps not, but in our room this is really the most convenient way to set up the listening triangle. I know many others with the same kind of setup.
Old 21st October 2012, 07:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I used the fiber glass batts that were available at the local hardware store
A little bit of topic, but be aware that inhaling glass fibers could cause you lung problems, so i suggest you to use absorbers based on synthetic materials instead which are 100% safe.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:08 AM   #18
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner - but you were right! There was some interference going on in the 100 to 150 hz range. That's fixed now. I'm running a pair of Keele CBT-like speakers and I've dropped the crossover to the subs to about 90 hz.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thats great! There is hope for those of us living in distinctly non-palatial Euro-boxes after all!
Old 12th November 2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

There was an article by Joachim Gerhard stating the optimum listening position was against the real wall. Speakers were placed far from walls.

Hide this!Advertise here!