Help me pick a coaxial speaker ++

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. Right now, on top of my list, is the Eminence Beta-12cx, with the BMS 4550 CD, and the P Audio PC35 adaptor (to make it a screw on type driver), in a sealed cabinet of maximum sensible size. It will be complemented with a Tempest X-15, most probably in a sealed 8 cu. ft. box. Crossover between woofer and CD will be between 800-1200 Hz.

The system will be controlled by a 2x6 speaker management processor and powered by Class D amps from the pro audio market. The cost of the system is about $2500 if we go with something like the Behringer 2x6 processor. We have currently budgeted for the DEQX (doubling the aforementioned cost), but we have a studio to float before we get to this (in a couple of months), and there are other non upgradeable things to prioritize... Still hoping there will be enough $ for DEQX.

My questions - are there any obvious flaws in this combination? I am aware that I may be missing something basic. Is there a more sensible way of accomplishing the frequency response and SPL I am looking for, at under $2500. Is there a different driver complement or approach that would serve my needs better?

Thanks,

Does the exit angle of the BMS compression driver match the throat angle of the eminence coaxial?

Thank you for the question. I also need help with the answer :) I am unable to find the data - or perhaps I don't know how to look.

Al from Usspeaker had this to say:

Yes you can use them together but you need the P.Audio PC35 adaptor(found on our speaker accessories page) to make this a screw-on type HF driver. This way it will go onto the Beta-12CX coaxial speaker.

Here is the data sheet for the BMS 4550 and here is the data for the Beta-12CX. If anybody can figure out the answer to RockleeEV's question, I'd be grateful...

Alright folks... am resting my case here, for now. I came across Zilch's work on the 12CX with various CDs (RIP Zilch), and it turns out that the compromises may be too many, and being a novice, I just don't want to take a chance. I'm moving to Wayne Parham's forum to see if the 3 or 4pi will work out for me... Will check back here occasionally to see if there are any further inputs... kind of sad to let go of the coaxial idea go...

Why not use the well respected 8CX21 Tom Danley suggested, and then make it a 3 way? A decent quality efficient 12-15" crossed somewhere around 300Hz would make a cracker of a speaker.

Thanks Brett, great idea. Maybe with a SB Acoustics SB34NRX75-6 12" Woofer, crossed over, maybe at 400 Hz...?

Unfortunately, we've already bought two Tempest X2-15" drivers (not to mention, 4 Exodus Audio mid woofers and a pair of Morel tweeters, which we are trying to get rid of...). We spent quite some money importing these, and are reluctant to start afresh.

If any Indian forum members are interested in any of these three drivers, NOS, please PM me... I believe they are all great in their own right, but right now, I have different design priorities, than when I bought those drivers.

In the mean while, I am still looking for options in the two way + sub world, so that I can use the Exodus Audio subs, and still have my 100-400 Hz range played by a 12+" driver...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.