Advice on DIY Floor Standing Speaker Kit In $500-$800 Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine recommended me this site. I am newbie in DIY audio arena.

My Velodyne 600 RMS Subwoofer got busted and instead of fixing it for $350, I am thinking of investing in floor standing speakers and if needed get my sub fixed or buy diy sub.

I have been doing some research since last week. But need help on deciding DIY Floor Standing Speaker Kit In $500-$800 Range

Current System:
Yamaha RXV1500 Receiver 120W x 7 (.04% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohs)
Satellites Speakers: Cabinet (H/W/D) 8"/5.5"/6"; Drivers: 1" Tweeter, 4" Mid-Woofer, Internal Crossover; Frequency Response: 110 Hz - 20 kHz; 3dB; 4 Ohm Impedance (4/6/8 Ohm Receiver compatible); Sensitivity: 88 dB.

Budget: Around $700

Type of Music: 60% Movies, 40% Music (Pop, Hip hop, Vocals).
Really nice to have: Good with drum beats and once a year loud parties.

Multimedia Room: Width:12' Lenght:16' Height: 8'
Note: During family get togethers, I would use these speakers in family room with 16' height with quite open area or outside patio.

The following is the list of speakers I found so far interesting. I am planning to assemble the kit myself, could get cabinet builder to build it or if possible find local DIY audio guy to help me.

ER18MTM Ribbon ~$700

Zaph|Audio ZA5.5 tt $500 to ~$700

Frugel-Horn Mk3 flat-paks ~$550

VISATON-TOPAZ ~$575

Sunflower [Redux] ~$500

The A/V-3 Kit ~$329.00

Fostex BK-12m – 4.5” Full-Range High Efficiency Folded Horn Kit ~$315

Dayton Audio RS722CK Speaker Kit Cherry $350

TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair ~$260

I am not sure if these speakers would work with my receiver or I need to buy diy amp. I think my wife should be ok with the size of above speakers as long as they are in media room ;). I can't go bigger than these.

Thanks.
Amar

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
warning! personal opinion!
definitely sunflower... reasons, mainly open baffle, I did many open baffle project and will never go back, especially in midrange area; woofers, that is different story
although I never heard sunflower in person, I got few similar speakers, they (b)eat little bookshelfs and 4" fullrange for breakfast

I would say build a sub. Great first project. OB speakers have their followers for very good reasons, but they are not for first timers and if you have not been "converted" it is hard to say if you will like them. ** A floor stander that does not need a sub will be a 10 inch or so woofer if you want "real" bass. A 6 inch 2-way will get you in the the 50's or 60's. That is enough for many people, and if you live in an apartment, all you should do. My last build was a slight modification to the Zaph SR-71. It is a substantial step up from my Paradigm Studio 20's just to give a frame of reference. More in the distortion than the frequency response. If you build your own boxes and are cheap about it, not far off your budget. Just build the baffle EXACTLLY to his dimensions.

**I would sure love to rent Siegfried's place and listen to the Orions for a week, but that is just not in the budget.

You did not say what was wrong with the Velo. Amp or speaker? Is it a servo? Their top end units were pretty good. A DIY can blow the doors off their low end models. You can DIY a box big enough and heavy enough but a budget OEM product has to be within the delivery service limits. For UPS, that is 60 Lbs. None of my subs are that light.

When my velodyne f12 amplifier broke some years ago, I replaced it with a 500w bash amp. Worked very well. Then I replaced the velodyne driver with a Dayton reference 12" when the foam surrounds rotted out a couple years later. After that, I replaced the Velodyne cabinet with a dayton cherrywood cabinet because the velodyne cabinet was beat up pretty bad. That looked and sounded so good, that I did another and another and another and another improvement, until I ended up with this. The original(heh heh) sub is up against the window in the back. My wife never would have stood for this if it was all done at once. It grew on her slowly and now she actually likes it. Like I said before..Heh heh..

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Not fixing the sub is my excuse to build diy speakers ;-). The Velodyne subwoofer is SPL-800 I think. The subwoofer is making crackling sounds. As per Velodyne local service tech, the electronic board needs replacement and its about $350. The refurbished plate amp from Velodyne would cost same + shipping. The following is sub's spec.

Cabinet (H/W/D) 11.25"/11"/11.75"; Drivers: 8" Cone, 2.5" Voice Coil; Variable Crossover (40 Hz -120 Hz), Integrated 600 Watt RMS Class-D amplifier; Frequency Response: 29 Hz - 120 Hz 3 dB.

I am actually looking for upgrading the Front LR speakers.

Remlab, good idea. That's my plan too. I want to upgrade my system slowly.

I live in Langley, BC and wouldn't mind buddying up with local experienced DIY guy.

I've not heard the Sunflowers, but I have a couple of speakers by the same designer. So, vicariously, I would say go with the sunflowers. Paul Carmody knows how to design a great speaker.
With that being said, I think listening to movies without a subwoofer might be less than good. So... if you want nice speakers for music and still want a sub for movies, I think you can still stay in your budget and have both. Paul has some other designs that I'm sure sound great. https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga
Mike

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When my velodyne f12 amplifier broke some years ago, I replaced it with a 500w bash amp. Worked very well. Then I replaced the velodyne driver with a Dayton reference 12" when the foam surrounds rotted out a couple years later. After that, I replaced the Velodyne cabinet with a dayton cherrywood cabinet because the velodyne cabinet was beat up pretty bad. That looked and sounded so good, that I did another and another and another and another improvement, until I ended up with this. The original(heh heh) sub is up against the window in the back. My wife never would have stood for this if it was all done at once. It grew on her slowly and now she actually likes it. Like I said before..Heh heh..

Remlab, what are you using as a tweeter?

dandang: Make the leap of faith/believe the brochure babble and buy, build a DIY set of speakers :)
However ..You.. will not know if they are 'as expected' .. until you sit and listen to the finished product.
Not always a pleasant surprise, nor is it guaranteed good.
Diy'ers, typically are multiple Diy'rs.. ever wonder why?
OR you could spend a wee bit more and buy proven/known excellent speakers.. Used!
Tricky though as there's a Lot of Crap out there.
Strongly recommend a pair of Vandersteen 2CE's ~$1k used.
These are/were The reference point for genuine value in hi end sound.
There are Few speakers that equal .. certainly not without spending a heckuvalot more.
Don't need a sub either.
All Just talk, until ..you... actually Audition a Pair... Yes it's mandatory. Would you buy shoes without trying them on?
May have to go to Magnolia Sound in Seattle area though..as I don't know of local dealers

Last edited:
I've built the Tritrix MTM TLs, the ER18s (my personal fav), and the Statements.

A couple things you said that have me wondering are "good w/ drum beats, and the occasional loud party". I'm not sure if you'll be happy w/out a sub. Or, you could build the Statements. Those have great bass and they sound incredible as well. They're HUGE; but if you can get past that, I think those should be included in your options. My $.02

Remlab, what are you using as a tweeter?
Adason
I was hoping someone would ask. I originally used a neo 3, but got the idea of trying the Neo 10 dsp'd flat, as a midtweet. It measures +/- 1db from 300hz to 20khz on axis at 60". The Neo 10 actually has output to 40khz.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-FR.gif
The tightly controlled dispersion is perfect for my highly reflective listening room and the highs are breathtaking with my tube amp driving it in my 5 way, fully active system..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.