4 way active ,passive or what works best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Diy

This is my first speaker project ,I have a habit of biting of more than I can chew when it comes to projects :xeye: :) .
This project has been going for a number of years now ,life just gets in the way more often than not . I'm also building the electronics from frontend to amps which doesn't help .Plus I have no real electronics knowledge :eek:.Plus the room it self needs a bit of acoustic treatment .I was a its all about the front end ,but over the years I feel its more speaker ,xover room interaction .

Any here's a novice approache to speaker design and build :) .

The design ,seperate bass cab's to the mid section so I can move them around and swap out the top section for a Synergy horn ,designed by Paul Spencer ,but thats another project :).
Red Spade Audio: Synergy horn flat pack kit
Midrangecabbasscab.png

Drivers ,I've heard the Raven tweeters a number of times and I really like how they sound & they sound really nice with PHL's .Bought the drivers from Pat @ War Audio in Perth ,Australia . Pat has been very helpful over the years .
IMG_2511.jpg

PHL's , 1120 6.5"mid , PHL 3020 10" lower mid , PHL 5021 15" bass driver.
IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

CHeers

Cab's & Baffles

I wanted large round overs on the corners and a triangle shape cab ,so with toe in the cabs don't look as wide .Also hoping for less defraction on the edge's .
I looked at making a sub frame then wrap it in multiple layers of bendy ply .I found a supplier who would guaranty a 100mm radius with there ply .I was having a chat with a cabinet maker who also built speaker ,Andrew W. from Aslan Acoustic about my project and he offered to CNC the cabs for me .He also machined the front baffles ,which he loved doing :p not.I think 12 months latter the swarf was still appearing .

Cabinet piece's the jigsaw begins :).
IMG_4797.jpg

Alloymidsectionbaffle.jpg

15" bass baffle
Alloy5021baffle.jpg

How to build a complicated bass cab out of bits ,for large round overs
IMG_6180.jpg

Bass cab Wall material ,Finish aircraft grade BB and alloy .
IMG_6371.jpg

After the cnc'ing a quick stack
TestFit.jpg

CHeers

Last edited:
Stacking to Glue

Talking to Andrew about gluing the cab's he told me to watch out for horizontal movement when clamping down to glue . So I made a jig to hold it all in position , if you know me I like making jigs :). To make it more complicated for myself I used ally dowels instead of timber ,15 of them .I hoping the alloy baffles & dowels will add stiffness but not alot of weight .
The jig mock up
IMG_4996.jpg

The rectangle section is set back and acks as a dummy baffle .
IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Gluing

Talking with Andrew about gluing he warned me about horizontal movement when gluing and clamping down . So I made a jig ,I like making jigs :) .
I also done a dry run stacking and clamping to see how much work time I had ,the epoxy glue I used has a 45min work time .The epoxy I used is designed to glue dissimilar materials . The dowels 15 of them are alloy ,I used alloy dowels & baffles ,hoping to improve the stiffness of the cabinets .
Glue
IMG_4799.jpg

Jig mock up
IMG_4996.jpg

The rectangle section is set back to ack as a dummy baffle to hold the cab in postion .
IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

Cheers

Another jig

One problem with triangle shaped cabs you just can't lay them on their back and work on the front baffle :( .
So I thought I'll make a jig for the cab to sit in so I could router the area where the baffle fits .Plus I wanted a new portable work bench something I could roll out side and work on .
Bench.png

Speakersupport.png

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

Need to fit the bench tops .

CHeers

Hmmm think we must be shopping for jigsaw puzzle speakers at the same shop... :scratch2:

Great looking project cant wait to see the results :up:
We must be :D ,I never did like jigsaw puzzles .
Amp case's each layer is made up of 4 pieces .
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

more case's to glue together :(
IMG_6111.jpg

CHeers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.