Horn adapters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Match...

Hi guys ... thought I'd try here, too! I am going to a homemade large format horn for my midrange. The horn has a 2" throat.
Will this adapter P AUDIO_PC5038 cause any problems using my 1.4" Altec 288 drivers? If necessary I can turn a thin wooden plate for the 1.4" to 1.5" conversion.
Thanks, Zene

horn throat to driver exit diameter and slope (tangent angle). Discontinuties at the horn/driver joint should be avoided even if implemented by use of an adapter.

Regards,

WHG

I had a pair of 350hz edgarhorns that where designed for a 2" compression driver. I used that adaptor to make use of my Altec 288C 1.4" compression driver. I did not find any issues at all. We measusred them in a semi anaquic chamber and the responce was very smooth.

Getting a little confused. Unless the horn is custom made to a specific driver the angle of the driver throat is rarely the same as the horn throat. That doesn't justify adding another angle from an adapter, but I think it does bring up a question or twenty. The mfgs must have a good reason for unloading the throat of a driver with a conical flare.
Zene

For Good Reason

Getting a little confused. Unless the horn is custom made to a specific driver the angle of the driver throat is rarely the same as the horn throat. That doesn't justify adding another angle from an adapter, but I think it does bring up a question or twenty. The mfgs must have a good reason for unloading the throat of a driver with a conical flare.
Zene

The driver bore, if conical, approximates a flare with an initially very large radius of curvature.

Within the driver bore and horn as well, an impedance transformation process is taking place. Unloading occurs only when signal frequency approaches horn cut-off or the horn is not present.

The reason for an adapter is cost, but all adapters are not created equal. The one you want to use is the one that has diameters and slopes that match those of the driver and horn attached.

Note there are also adapters that implement boundary transitions (round to rectangular) and wave front spreading (for pattern control). Use of these devices in an audiophile setting is contraindicated.

Regards,

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.