EV Interface 1 series II restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I old have pair of EV interface 1 series II's that my father has given me. These had been in my father’s system for since before I was born (84) and have had a lot of use.

The tweeters have both lost their foam, the cabinets vinyl covering is peeling and one of the woofers is sounding scratchy.

The woofers have both been refoamed at some point already.

I am looking at covering the speakers in new veneer, adding new ferro fluid to the tweeters and replacing the foam lenses. I may also add some additional bracing to the cabinets.

My biggest concern is the scratchy woofer, I have removed it from the cabinet and the cones and spider seem to be intact. I gently pressed on the cone and there is some uneven resistance, I suspect the coil damaged and rubbing in the gap. Is there any way to repair this or will I have to replace the woofer?

Attachments

• _IGP8333.JPG
    _IGP8333.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 122
  • _IGP8341.JPG
    _IGP8341.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 121
  • _IGP8342.JPG
    _IGP8342.JPG
    881.6 KB · Views: 128
  • _IGP8352.JPG
    _IGP8352.JPG
    876.1 KB · Views: 120
  • _IGP8355.jpg
    _IGP8355.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 122
Howdy,

The EVs are quite nice speakers! I restored a pair around two years ago and they sounded very nice.

Regarding the tweeter foam lenses, definitely replace them if you like the overall sound of the speakers. I'd be inclined to get the speakers in 100% working order first, and if you like the sound, then spend the money on crossover upgrades and replacing the woofer foams

Here's my restoration thread below:

Electro-Voice Interface 1 Series II restoration - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.