Thinking of building a set of speakers. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thinking of building a set of speakers.

Hello guys, this is my first post. I've been reading on this forum for about a week now and I am really interested in possibly building a set of speakers. Here is what I have right now for my HT/PC setup:

Klipsch Quintet SL 5.1 setup. The LCR has a FR of 80hz-20k, the sats are 120hz-20k. The subwoofer is a Klipsch - 12" 650W Powered Subwoofer SUB-12.

I'm thinking of the following speaker builds:

RS Duet by Paul Kittinger, that won the 201 MWAF Dayton category.
Midwest Audio Fest 2012 - The premier gathering for audio enthusiasts featuring Speaker Design Competition, Auto Sound Challenge and Parts Express Tent Sale

AviaTrix
Speaker Design Works

Or, one person recommended I just skip the hassle of building any speakers and just buy a set of Behringer B2031P. (of course there is no fun in that haha)

Amazon.com: Behringer TRUTH B2031P Ultra-Linear Reference Studio Monitor Pair: Musical Instruments

Now if any of you have experience with this set of speakers, do you think any of these DIY speakers would surpass the Klipsch SLs? Also, if I built any of these, would it be a good idea to continue using the Klipsch center and sats? How would these interact?

If not mixing them is a good idea, what would be a good center to match? Maybe the AviaTrix set horizontally? Also, since I have a sub, would making them sealed instead of ported be the way to go?

If there are any better speakers I could buy/build, that wouldn't break the bank (Looking to spend about 400 bucks all together, and I could always sell the klipsch for about 300 on fleabay, not counting the sub to extend my buying power)

PS this setup is in a living room with an entry into a kitchen right next to the TV, and a hallway on the other side of the TV, and the right side of the room is all open, with a set of stairs going upstairs. My Receiver is an Onkyo 605 too. I have a lot of woodworking tools and skills too FYI.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have not heard the Behringers so no comparison data, unfortunately.

I have heard the Aviatrix a few times (different builders at different events) and recently built something that is astonishingly similar (in shape, size and with identical drivers) to the RS Duet. As I was nearly done voicing my crossover when the results of MWAF came out, I was excited to hear that Paul's design did so well under peer review and built a set of his crossovers for an A/B comparison with my crossover. As I said, my cabinets are slightly different so there will be some acoustic differences, but I expect that they are minor.
Of these two great diy designs, I would personally prefer the RS Duet over the Aviatrix if I were choosing between the two. That being said, the result of building something yourself will usually yield higher satisfaction than a purchase.

It sounds like you are capable of building something, and are looking for a fun project...skip the 'off the shelf' stuff!

Hide this!Advertise here!