Thank you "Melo theory"....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As an absolute beginner at age 72 (never built anything in my life that worked) I outlined my needs for a speaker system to be used in my garage. Member "Melo theory" picked up on my request and not only designed the cabs and selected the drivers to do what I needed but walked me through the build. The speakers came out great and sound amazing. (See 4 pics in my gallery). To keep the design simple, he devised a two way design using Peerless TC9FD-18-08 3 1/2" fullrange with a Peerless 830667 8" subwoofer and a two way crossover at 500hz.

It is refreshing to see that there are people in this world who are willing to take the time to really help someone out. Melo Theory is that kind of guy. Because of him I can remove this project from my bucket list.
But then--in the future a matching subwoofer might be interesting--hhmmm.

Wow! Thanx CLS!

But you get 100% of the credit for this great looking first build!

Speaker_build-Aug_2012_009.jpg

Speaker_build-Aug_2012_014.jpg

Speaker_build-Aug_2012_015.jpg

Speaker_build-Aug_2012_016.jpg

CLS500, congrats on your first build - and a really nice looking one too!

Melo theory, nice design - are you running the full-range unit in a aperiodic TL? May I ask why the port is placed away from the woofer and next to the to the FR unit? Aesthetic choice?

Thanx zman......

Well, the port is opposite the sub because I wanted the full range in the middle, reasoning being......to have the PVC pipe doing double duty, isolation from the box, and bracing.
I don't think it behaves as an Aperiodic TL, maybe? It could I guess? I'm not sure how much of the back wave is reflected to the rear of the driver. But there is no vent out the back if that's what you mean. He wanted to use them on the wall. That's also why it is front ported.
I think CLS should get some damping in that box, to eliminate standing waves from exiting through the port. Its good that he made the rear panel removable :)

Now that I have been listening to these jewels for a couple of months I wanted to give you guys a follow up on peoples reaction to them. I get the same comment from 2 out of 3 listeners---"How do you get such a big sound from an 8" 2way speaker??"I tell them that I have no idea but that I told a very nice guy in Florida what I was looking for and the space I had available and his design skills made it happen !!! Thanks again Melo Theory !!!! I love them....

I'm driving them with a Onkyo 100WPC integrated amp from the 90's using an ADC Thirty Three equalizer and Denon C615 CD Player.
Melo Theory--I am still interested in a single sub system designed to work with these speakers--My only constriction is it has to be no deeper than 14"; but height and width are open and I like ported units--any thoughts ??? 12" perhaps ??? Driven with an on board plate amp ??

Dave, I only use the equalizer to slightly suppress higher frequencies which tend to bother my 72 yr. old ears. I also boost the bass a little because I like bass. With no EQ the sound is still big and open but just not AS big and open. I am a huge believer in EQ's in that they can help tailor a rooms acoustics and just generally make everything sound better. I also firmly believe that limited use of a modern powered sub can improve ANY average system. I like fairly loud music with a lot of bass and I just want it all to sound good to me. Needless to say, I am certainly not a purist!!!!
Melo Theory--should I leave it at 48" ??? Might look good in red....LOL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.