Thank you "Melo theory"....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's strange to be shelving down the High frequencies....older people usually prefer boosted HF
That driver measures flat. I guess I could shape the top end but he would have to send the crossover to me. I don't know that it would sound much better that doing it with eq.
I suppose if he wanted a kick at the bottom we could retune the port. As it is now, it's a flat alignment, but he is getting no room gain.

Melo--you are right about the higher frequency loss; mine was about gone--however--a pair of very sophisticated,small hearing aids fixed that problem. But even in my youth I did not like a lot of HF in my music and always cut the treble a bit and upped the bass a bit so I guess thats just me. Forgive me--I thought you were joking about the tube idea. If and when you feel like talking about it--i'm ready to listen closely.

Dave--You are absolutely right but i'm not listening to critical recordings on vinyl. I download from Itunes at 240 bitrate, burn playlists to CD and let her rip !!! I am thinking of getting a small PC for the garage and hooking it directly to my amp but thats probably as fancy as i'll ever get.
Let me sum it like this--my idea of a good time would be a set of Altec VOTT's w/ bass bins in an empty aircraft hanger !!! :)

Look what CLS500 went and did :D

sub1_zps1b3cdd36.jpg

sub2_zps380db117.jpg

sub3_zps6e36b543.jpg

sub4_zpsd5f96e55.jpg

sub5_zpsdf75ed43.jpg

sub6_zps08e187e2.jpg

I think it looks great!

Once again I must thank Melo Theory for designing the sub to fit my rather tight requirements; none of this would have been possible without his help and design expertise. The entire three piece system just works great in my garage for which it was designed. I am grateful for your assistance.

Dave, I only use the equalizer to slightly suppress higher frequencies which tend to bother my 72 yr. old ears. I also boost the bass a little because I like bass. With no EQ the sound is still big and open but just not AS big and open. I am a huge believer in EQ's in that they can help tailor a rooms acoustics and just generally make everything sound better.

If you want to roll down highs just a bit, try an old studio trick and tape one or two thicknesses of Kleenex over the tweeter. I imagine the sub is giving all the bass you can handle...

Sub is performing well. I have moved it to several locations around the garage and for some reason it sounds better up high (see pic above). I have no idea why this is so. Anyone have any thoughts about this ?? I have always believed that subs do better close to the floor but not so in this case

Must have been a pain moving the sub to several locations, only to find out that the best position was up high. I'm sure it was tons of fun getting it up there. Hopefully you didn't scratch the CLS while at it.

I like the industrial look of the sub, it looks like filament wound FRP pipe (Conley to be exact) or like A/C ducting. I have one of those 12" Dayton Classic that I recently ordered to make a sub for my family room. How do you like it?

I really like the Dayton Classic sub; it's well made and sounds great. Keep in mind that this entire project was done on a pretty modest budget which placed Melo theory in in a difficult position design wise. (The concrete form tube was like $12 !!!)He did a fantastic job in both the design of the three units and the selection of the drivers, port tubes and sub amp.

Actually, my wife had to help me get the sub up on the platform.She feels quilty about making me move all my gear into the garage, so she was happy to help out.:)

Must have been a pain moving the sub to several locations, only to find out that the best position was up high. I'm sure it was tons of fun getting it up there. Hopefully you didn't scratch the CLS while at it.

I like the industrial look of the sub, it looks like filament wound FRP pipe (Conley to be exact) or like A/C ducting. I have one of those 12" Dayton Classic that I recently ordered to make a sub for my family room. How do you like it?

It's a concrete former, like a sonotube. It's a fairly popular enclosure for a sub.

I know what it is, especially after having to form ground columns for a patio deck I built at home...:D Actually long time ago I had a car with a Bazooka sub, which is the same concept.

I was just saying that it gives an industrial look, that I personally like.

BTW, Melo, great design...CLS, great work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.