wharfedale glendale 3xp fault, Help!

ideally i would like to keep them as are but i dont have a spare £250 to play with for this. i get the two way conversion i think with your schematic (thankyou). i am quite tempted to build fresh two way crossovers with new components matching the originals for now and maybe keep eye out for new mid driver in the future, would this work?

or

do you think running the speakers as they are now but placing them together in the room would sound ok with one mid out? if i disconnect the driver for safety?.

they have an output on the back where the terminals are for linking another speaker on the same channel and i was considering this running from a mono source so i can use them now without loosing the mid from one channel, in essence having two woofers and tweeters and one mid. would this work? and if it does would it change the impedance of the setup?

thanks Hugh

I don't know what you are going to do really, but I can tell you that if you have a broken driver, it is essential to disconnect the midrange filter altogether. Right now your amp is seeing 16uF in series with 4mH undamped. That will be very bad. Pure resonant load that could fry your amp at high volume. :D

how would i go about disconnecting the midrange filter if i decide to do that?

honestly havent decided what to do with these for now.
quite fancy building new crossover copying the old one as much as possible to make 2 way for now. dont really want to take old crossovers apart as they are originals far as i know. think i will sort out some parts and use them 2 way for a bit. not going to be high volumes atall so should be ok

Hi H Burch. I am sorry to jump in on your thread but I hoping to ask you a favour. I have the exact same speakers as you that were my dad's pride and joy back in the day and he kindly gave them to me. I've recently had an issue with the woofer cone/driver on one of them and i'm currently desperately searching the internet for a replacement! I was wondering what became of your project and whether there was any chance I could buy the part off you if they aren't in use at the mo. Or if you had any advice towards finding spare parts for this type of speaker. Thanks very much. George

Hi,

I as well have a pair of Wharfedale Glendale 3xp, but another bass driver is gone. And, I accidentally bought a bass driver from Wharfedale Linton 3xp...

Do you guys have any idea is Wharfedale Glendale 2xp bass driver suitable for Wharfedale Glendale 3xp?

Anyone happens to have what I'm looking for? Does anyone need a Wharfedale Linton 3xp bass driver? :)

Toni J

Last edited:
Hey all, first post here and I hope everyone here is doing well in this current situation.
I see that this thread hasn't been active for some time but I also have a pair of Glendales which I'm thinking to recap and have some questions. I already have Mundorf replacement caps in hand and was wondering if recapping will drastically change the sound.

My other question is about the very thin 15-ohm component which appears to be green on some xo and black on others. Can you guys advise if that needs to be replaced and if so, what are the specs of this component or maybe a link for a replacement will do great too? :D
My next question, when I looked inside of the cardboard tube mentioned above it was also filled with dampening foam and I was under the impression that only bass drivers need dampening.... is that also required for Midrange? Will it make a difference if I leave it there or remove?

Sorry for my ignorance but not a pro here so im trying to learn :D

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Take care all and stay safe!