Ultra-wide dispersion drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Ultra-wide dispersion drivers?

Hey all,
From experience, can you guys give me some driver recommendations that provide an ultra-wide dispersion?

Thanks!
Old 26th August 2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

What frequency range?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 26th August 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
What frequency range?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
All the frequencies that can be heard/perceived when in the "sweet spot" If it can be done in a 2-way great, if not a 3-way is ok too. Basically, I don't want to lose anything if I walk a few feet in either direction.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If you want a single driver then I think you need one made out of unobtainium =)

A much more simple and tried solution is to just add multiple directional tweeters pointing in separate directions like Stig Carlsson did with his Sonab series. My current speakers for example which are a clone of the pop box use this setup.

My in-progress speaker which is also an omni will use the same setup =)

Last edited by OllBoll; 26th August 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't care if I have to use multiple drivers. Just want to start out with the widest available. I don't mind spending some money on em.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:49 PM   #6
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you need ultra wide dispersion to do this? You might want to look into constant directivity designs and crossfiring- they maintain the most consistent soundfield across a lateral area, when set up correctly.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
I don't care if I have to use multiple drivers. Just want to start out with the widest available. I don't mind spending some money on em.
Dispersion is determined by the piston size, the smaller the driver, the wider the dispersion.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Are you sure you need ultra wide dispersion to do this? You might want to look into constant directivity designs and crossfiring- they maintain the most consistent soundfield across a lateral area, when set up correctly.
for destails, see:
Article about setting up controlled-directivity waveguide type speakers
Old 26th August 2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I guess if you want really wide, then up-firing cones would do it. It's a concept that's been around for decades.
Old 26th August 2012, 08:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The desired frequency range is very significant. The crossover is a big contributor to horizontal AND vertical dispersion and shouldn't be discounted.

Any decent four inch midrange driver can have ultra wide dispersion if it's crossed 4th order around 1.8khz or so to a 1" tweeter.

That same four inch driver can have a crappy dispersion crossed 1st order around 4khz to a 1/2" tweeter that has better dispersion above 8khz.

That four inch driver can have really mediocre dispersion at the bottom of its range if it only plays down to 600hz cleanly and you want to have a lot of output or deep extension with a 12" woofer. Or you can trade those things and use a 6" midwoofer or two.

I have to say that I agree with the idea of a crossfired constant directivity speaker for your purposes. On paper that would be less dispersion, but in practice it is a wider sweet spot because the further speaker is producing more output than the closer speaker.

The SEOS waveguides are a good choice, as are DIY Synergy Horns.

Hide this!Advertise here!