Best FREE loudspeaker design software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone using a loudspeaker cab program that DOES work on Win 8.1 ? None of the above listed, i.e ex XP now work properly with 32/64 bit systems. WinISP was my favourite fails, as does Easybox and so many others. WinISP tries but comes up with application exception errors, although my attempt in forcing it gave incorrect plots.

Any ideas folks ?

richy

Anyone using a loudspeaker cab program that DOES work on Win 8.1 ? None of the above listed, i.e ex XP now work properly with 32/64 bit systems. WinISP was my favourite fails, as does Easybox and so many others. WinISP tries but comes up with application exception errors, although my attempt in forcing it gave incorrect plots.
Assuming you mean WinISD, are you running the pro version? Works fine for me in Win 8.1 64-bit.

The most powerful full featured software for free is AkAbak. No contest.
Have you tried ABEC3? If so, I'm curious how it compares in features. Both are free for non-commercial use, but Akabak is ancient and won't run on anything I have, while ABEC even has a 64-bit version. The website is kind of vague about the features/capabilities. I keep meaning to try it out. Never tried Akabak.

Last edited:
Strange, I cannot run WIN ISD pro version, one bit...exception zero error banner crops up even in 32bit compat mode
Akabak same, won't run on 64bit stuff. I don't how many times I've loaded WinISP and erased it, only to find it does the same reply. It won't run.
I will try ABEC.

rich

Strange, I cannot run WIN ISD pro version, one bit...exception zero error banner crops up even in 32bit compat mode .... I will try ABEC.
That is strange.. I don't even have it in compatibility mode, and it runs fine. Something like ABEC will give you quite the headache if you just want to do what WinISD does - that was meant as a totally separate question for xrk971.

Ooops...I've just done a double check with some subwoofers..Feeding identical data of a woofer into WinISd beta and comparing it with the pro alpha version the plots don't come out the same.
One has to be careful how to interpret the results, in the pro alpha version the box and driver wern't compatible. The mistake with the pro alpha version, is it calculates and corrects....the resulting physics can be wildy out.

richy

ABEC is 3d finite element and uses AkAbak core. Very powerful but I have not learned how to use yet. AkAbak works fine if you install a Win XP virtual machine in 64bit. AkAbak is 1-d lumped element network model. Does most of what I need.

I think this is the way to go for a lot of these older programs.
You can run Akabak on any platform you like, by using a VM.

I put the VM on a USB disk, so I can move the VM from system to system. If I'm away from home I run it on my laptop, if I'm home I run it on my desktop, etc. It's very convenient.

Somebody mentioned that Visatone program. These days is available in english too. I don't think it will support drivers of other manufacturers but believe it has some custom functions. And it works on modern Windows.
After all Visaton drivers are the bang for buck...perhaps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.