Best FREE loudspeaker design software? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2003, 06:26 AM   #11
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Workshop

I use(d) SpeakerWorkshop, WinISD, Unibox and the BDS (Baffle Diffraction Simulator). With this combo, you're missing very little. You can always buy LSPCad or SoundEasy for the emulators, but then you'll be paying...

Speaker Workshop has an optimiser, acoustic measurement, impedance measurement, component measurement and T/S measurement, plus more. The above combo will give you very effective design capability. I now use SoundEasy. But don't underestimate the power of the above free programs. I still use WinISD and sometimes Unibox for quick checks.

http://speakerworkshop.com/
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm
http://www.linearteam.dk/

Regards
Old 24th October 2003, 06:30 AM   #12
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Unibox has done an excellent job for me. The thing is that you need Excel Spreadsheet capability to use it. But it is easy to use otherwise.
Old 25th October 2003, 04:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

does soundeasy take measurements of loudspeakers itself or do u have to have something else to get your raw data?
Old 25th October 2003, 04:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default Isaac

Nice web site and the Leach site has some great info.

Thanks
Old 26th October 2003, 03:26 PM   #15
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
Quote:
Does LspCAD lite enable you to optimize?, I remember having a version about a year back which did, just like in the demo version that only allows you to use the sample drivers. If it does then that would be really useful. I d/l the lite version and all I could get it to do was to calculate boxes . Am I missing something?
Yes, there is an optimization tool. I forget off the top of my head what variables it optimizes (I believe Qtc and one other variable).

You can add new drivers, but you have to use the clunky input program that's included. It has some issues with calculating values for what you have already inputted. You can input one of the T/S parameters, but unless you do a special "mouse dance" and say a magical spell, once you input other values, it will change the original one.

Basically, all it does is calculate boxes, but you can't do this with unibox and winisd for mids. Winisd is the worst since there is no high end rolloff calculated.

Quote:
Can the lite version calculate values for active filters, if not is there a program that does and allows you to optomize?
Winisd has something fairly basic included. Its almost just as easy to find a book with the equations and go from there. If you're set on a Linkwitz Riley, sound.westhost.com has a calculator for that.
Old 26th October 2003, 05:18 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No one has mentioned Martin King's software....

dave
Old 17th May 2011, 10:58 AM   #17
theresa is offline theresa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4ier View Post
5th element,

SoundEasy is a better program, which has emulation capability and lots more cool tools for significantly less than LspCAD Pro.

$250 is a long way from free which is what he asked about.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:06 PM   #18
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa View Post
$250 is a long way from free which is what he asked about.
The above is a reply to post #4 where 5th element found $450 for LspCAD to be steep. I suggested a link to free software on post #3.

Jim, thanks for the kinds words about my site.

Cheers

Last edited by f4ier; 17th May 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 17th May 2011, 04:23 PM   #19
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

WinISD or Unibox is all that is ever need for a sealed or bass reflext subwoofer design. Hornresp is needed for horn designs.

PCD (Techtalk.parts-express.com) has a HUGE following there and it has created many high quality speaker designs.

For me HOLM, REW, ARTA as measurements tools and Speaker Workshop has worked good enough. I have SoundEasy now....

I would say that if someone is going to build ONE pair of speaker they should just follow a proven design. No need for XO software then. If you want to build multiple sets of speakers then spend some $$$ on SoundEasy, nothing can make life easier.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:50 PM   #20
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

R&D-Team - Products

Hide this!Advertise here!