Crossover design - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2002, 12:02 AM   #21
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

i have the parts for the shiva, i havent put the thing together yet, the amp was $200 AUD, and the driver was close to $300. There is a place in mentone where you can get the driver, they have the Redgum sub amp, $400, im currently trying to sell my sub amp because of financial difficulties.
Old 10th February 2002, 12:15 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I'm just down the road, in Port Melbourne. Recently the company I worked for was bought by a large corporation, which means I'm now out of a job. So, at the moment I'm in no position to start building speakers.
Old 10th February 2002, 12:50 AM   #23
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

that seems to be happening alot lately unfortunately.
Old 11th February 2002, 07:22 AM   #24
navin is online now navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Of the drivers you have considered I have only used the D25AG35. I did not find it very good but amongst teh metal dome drivers it is quite good. I belive the ScanSpeak 9800 is better but that is another price range.

If you are considering a MTM cetner channel please note that the sould will have little vertical dispersion. MTM tend to have a typical dispersion characteristic to them. I prefer a MTM but where the tweeter is mounted above the 2 Mids. Some companies offer this. If you are using typical dome tweeters you have 2 options.

1. Use dome tweeters with small faceplates, Vifa and Audax I know make a few.

2. Modify the faceplate of the tweeter. I hope to get a few tweeters and remove their faceplates and mount the voicecoil/magnet assempbly in a plastic "thimble" for this purpose. It is not very difficult. I had done similar modification to a pair of Morel MDT 33 tweeters in 1989.

I do not know what the 6" you recomend are. However look at the specs. Other than T/S specs.
Xmax: related to max SPL at low frequenices
Surround: Low Damping v/s High Damping - Low damping offers better bass and High damoping offers nicer midrange
B/L: the higher the better
Mms: the lower the better for midbass but low bass requires higher Mms. we leave that for another time. one can increase MMs and reduce Fs.
Acceleration Factor: BL/Mms the higher the better

If the 6" you are using a smooth in the 2-5k range try a 6db High pass for the 6" and a 18db Low pass for the 1". It worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Hide this!Advertise here!